Installing Vibe 10" Sub Help Needed

JGrant1285

Sir Scouser Benitez
Reaction score
Website
www.allhiphop.com
Right ok, now i have searched, but i havn't come back with anything that can possibly help me!!

I have a 2002 A4, with Concert II head Unit. now in my previous car, i had a VIBE 10" Sub (complete with built-in amp). now i need to buy the cable kit (RCA's, Power Cable, Earth etc etc), which isn't a problem, now i have never wired up an amp to a factory headunit (of any sort). Now i don't want to start snipping and cutting at wires etc, unless there is no other option. I have tried to find a wiring diagram of the Concert II, but still not found anything. Also any advice on which wire to use for the remote for the amp?? any further advice also appreciated. Thanks alot for any help....ive been meaning to do this for a while, but never got round to doing it due to the above.

There is an amp behind the right panel in the boot.It has wires which can be connected to RCA cables and a remote on wire.You will need to run your power cables to your amp as usual.

hi i am using a jl audio clean sweep its superb, expensive but worth every penny it allows me to run my front speakers and rear speakers off seperate amps and still keep the factory head unit (audi symphony 6 disc) you run the speaker wires from the head unit into the clean sweep it then calibrates the frequencies and corrects and filters out hissing etc etc look into this first before cutting up your car:rulez:

Ive just took a couple of pictures so you can see what i mean.

The audi amp is behind this panel.
100_0041.jpg

This is the amp i am now using as my original one broke.
100_0037.jpg

I just connected the original output wires from the HU to some RCA cables and the rear speaker wires straight to the amp.Very easy as you can see.
100_0039.jpg

Not a pretty sight but once the panel is back on you don't see a thing and i didn't pay for any connectors.The remote on wire is white,there another white wire but as you can see in the picture it goes to the RCA connector with the brown one.

I will be buying one connector to run the front speakers off the remaining two channels i have spare on the sony amp.Wont be expensive and worth every penny.As for the hissing a decent amp will take care of that.

You can get hissing if you use the speaker input to the amp (or a linout converter) and not the pre-out input. The pre-outs are already there so use them.

Yeah understand now, just a few questions though...

First of all, i'm still not sure if i have the Bose system in my car. I mean the system it pretty decent in it, good sound quality, it has the 'sub' built into the rear parcel shelf (if thats what its called), with the long-*** grill running the full length of the rear window, but it hasn't got 'bose' on the speaker covers .Now i read somewhere that unless it had 'bose' on the covers, then it isn't a bose system??

Another thing, will the rear speakers be able to deal with the new amp?i'm sure its 600watts. I just don't want to start this untill i'm 100% sure to do it, as the car hasn't got a mark on it (and i know how pricey the stealers are too hahahha).

Thanks for all your replies, i was actually expecting this thread to flop, wasn't expecting THIS much help, so thanks again for your replies *thumbs up*

600watts doesn't mean alot.
That's probably total peak power which means nothing.
You need to find out what the RMS value is per channel at 12 or 14.4v.
the amp needs to be 4 channel in order to drive the rears and the sub together. I'd imagine the amp is about 4 x 50wrms, with about 200wrms when bridged for the sub. 2 x 50wrms will be fine for the rears as long as you whack the gain right down on the amp so that it matches the fronts on mid fade.
Regarding Bose, the only certain way to check is to look at the amp (or the underside of the sub). Bose will be written all over it. With a Bose system "Bose" should appear on the HU when you turn it on, but this is not always the case, and yes you should have Bose logos on all the speaker grills, but again this is not always the case. Look at the amp, if it's not obvious one way or the other then it's not Bose. If you are still confused then unplug the amp and see if you still have sound to the front speakers. If you do then its definately not Bose as all Audi Bose systems drive all speakers off the amp.

james0808 said:
How can it be when it can be done sooo much cheaper.
IM not going starting a heated debate now on whats better yours and mine but also i dont use short cuts or cheap gear as i love music and have alot of money spent on my audi im currently using phoenix gold tantrums in my a4 with the doors sound deadened, running these with a matching amp (400watt rms) and phoenix gold 4 gauge wiring kit and a 6 gauge kit. for the back ive removed the sub to allow for the bass to fill into the car from the two sealed JL Audio W3s (12 inch) removing the sub helped heaps to get the quality i wanted as my seats dont fold down, alot of sub is traped in the boot.Im using an Infinity (597watt rms at 2 ohms) mono block reference series amp with bass controller (fitted controller in the cubby hole above your knee on drivers side)very handy when ppl in the car hate bass... And finally the rear speakers are driven from a alpine v series 2 channel amp and k series components in the rear doors.all in all good sound now the clean sweep is a processor and can be used with any after market head unit not just standard radios to give even better sound and many ppl use this piece of kit in the sq and spl competitions.it doesent jst stop hissing i mean a ground loop isolator for 12 euro will do that but this corrects any frequiency from any source its about 400 euro and can run an mp3 or mini disc off it or anything you like there is aux;s on it to fit it you jst run the wires from the head unit into it all 4 speaker connections pop in the cd that comes with it and it will callibrate the entire car :rock: any way i dont usually post as my typing skills are poor but i hope this helps in your decision :sm4:

Alot of money spent there.I added an epic 150 to my rockford mono block and it provides plenty of bass.

I think the price of the Cleansweep reflects where it is positioned in the market. It's not really designed for someone who just wants a bit more bass.

Well yes that is very true this is an expensive item, but it can be taken from car to car when your changing,and can also run an ipod or cd changer off it,i mean its the price of an average head unit ,but the main reason i bought this was to keep the factory head unit as i once changed my head unit in my mk4 golf and ended up with slight rattles from the centre console which drove me nuts i think the audi dash looks complete and alot smarter when the original is in there jst my opinion,but the other way to run subs with the standard amp is to buy connections think there called low level inputs vibe make them bout 40 euro ,basically they are an RCA lead at one end and bare wires at the other you tap them into the speaker wires and then connect the RCA end to the amp simple job done but guaranteed poor quality and to be honest why buy an amp, wiring kit,subs and speakers to ruin it all with the weekest link being the source??? only way these connections should really be used is with an amp that only drives a sub and thats it as subs work on low frequencies and any whirring, hissing wouldn;t be heard through the sub only with speakers.here is a link have a look and tell me what yee think see the graphs of before and after and what else it does:respekt:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep_pages.php?page_id=79

Yes agree a line out converter is the lazy option, especially when the pre-outs are already there on the Audi amp. All you need is what James0808 described. Chop off one end of an RCA lead and connect the flying leads to the existing pre-outs and you have your feed for the amp. The remote on is also there so the only additional wiring needed is the power cable.
Cleansweep is excellent and I've only heard good things about it. But with the stock Audi system you will not get the best out od it. The front speakers for example aren't even amped seperately on the non Bose system so they would not be able to be included in the chain. You'd need to buy another amp in order get the most out of it. So the costs start to mount up. Most people don't replace their HU's just to try and get better quality. It is usually for advanced functionality such as DAB radio, MP3 CD support or proper iPOD integration and control. No one really wants to have their iPOD mounted to the dash so they can select tracks, much better to control it via the HU.
"why buy an amp, wiring kit,subs and speakers to ruin it all with the weekest link being the source???" Exactly, I'm surprised you've spent so much money on amps/speakers/subs and are still using the stock HU as the source which is garbage quality in comparison to the other components.

well as i said i much prefer the nice look and the build quality of the original if you get me.and now the clean sweep does all the work i have had my car set up by professionals you currently have trophies in every corner of the shop from cars they have built tha have won so i would say that my sound is as good as a high end head unit and i have the 6 disc and get to keep my dash smart looking and when i sell the car ill take it with me so really its all down to what your really looking for.ON a different note can any one tell me whats the ipod lead like from audi accessories and can it work wit my car its a symphony and the car is 2002 also while fixing my armrest the other day i found i wire or lead on the side if it whats this?

"trophies in every corner of the shop from cars they have built" doubtless using the very same low end Panasonic/Masushita Symphony head unit!

thanks for the helpful reply are you just trying to start an argument secure sounds are the name of the crowd look them up and i dont think i said any where in my post that all there cars run clean sweeps with standard head units in fact i dont think i said what they were using at all!!!!!!!!!!:o.k:

Durrrr! that was my point, what relevance is a bunch of trophies when they were won for installs that bear no relation to your setup?
Sorry I didn't want to start an argument, I was just surprised that with the impressive system you had you didn't feel the quality was being compromised by a low end HU.
"why buy an amp, wiring kit,subs and speakers to ruin it all with the weekest link being the source??? " Your words.

because the clean sweep is basically a head unit all my head unit does now is play discs my clean sweep feeds the info to the amps and the clean sweep is a processor all on its own it can remove/add frequencies to the amps which it thinks would make it sound better.and why i said helpful post no mention on the wire or lead in my arm rest or if audi accessories genuine ipod lead will work with mine or weather its any good.As for the money ive spent on audio i had a sound system that has won over 30 first places in sq competitions audio advice built the car and it had a rockford fosgate r-dat2 fitted that would **** all over the clean sweep but thats about 5 grand fitted it was a golf in case your wondering with 10 inch bbs lms and audi door handles car cost the original owner 50 sterling to build 17 k for the sound system alone so my choice to keep the standard hu is a well educated opinion as i know what sounds good

AndyMac said:
You can get hissing if you use the speaker input to the amp (or a linout converter) and not the pre-out input. The pre-outs are already there so use them.

AndyMac does the Audi HU have front pre outs?
I want to be able to keep the fader so i can fade out the rear and sub when my boys in the back.

It does indeed but they're not used in the non Bose setup so there's no existing wiring. You'd need to disconnect the pre-out wiring from the HU and use the Blaupunkt pre-out adapter which will give you front and rear RCA's from the mini-ISO plug on the HU. This can mean you lose the CD changer cable as well as on some looms the connector is just one big plug and doesn't come apart. On others it is a multicoloured plug and you can slide of the yellow pre-out section and slide on the new BP adapter.
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=79

I decided to make my own RCA connector.I used an old(broke) cd player for the parts and it worked perfect.
I just took the RCA out off the cd player and soldered it to the Audi HU output wires,very easy as there is a pin out diagram on top of the HU.
100_0053w.jpg

Here it is soldered in
100_0059.jpg

Then i cut the speaker output plug off the CD player,I did this so i can plug the front speakers back to Audi HU if i need to
100_0061.jpg

All All that was needed was to solder the speaker wires to the plug and connect the RCA plugs
100_0062.jpg

then run the RCA and speaker wires to the amp,job done and sounds great to me.
Cheers for the info AndyMac.