Aaargh - ipod connection. HK v dension

confucius

Reaction score
Ok, I want to connect my ipod to my Audi B5 2000.

I was considering changing the concert 1 stereo, due to the problems that people have had with them breaking down. However after reading all the bits and pieces on doing this, its leaving my head sore !!! Cost is the aspect as by the sounds of it, it would cost about £500 (if not more) to get a decent hu and then spend the cash on the speakers and the amp and the subwoofer and cabling and then god knows how much time that will all take and exactly how to change everything, well ?????

So ive came to the decision that i will keep the concert at least for just now so that comes to the connection issue.

I have ruled out the audi oem link as it appears to only work generation 2 units and after purchasing a unit from ebay (not oem), but one that supposedly let you keep your changer as an option, and have it not work - well only work like an AUX input, I am sceptical. (got a refund though).

So my options are:

Firstly,

You can get a standard AUX connection from ebay for around £31 delivered, this offers no control over the ipod (via the hu) and hence i would need to buy a cradle to sit it next to me.

Secondly,
I have sourced the dension audi ipod link from Canada ( via ebay) for just over £50 delivered (with possibility of import tax on top). This obviously offers some control over the ipod via the concert but how good is it ?

Thirdly,

The rather obtrusive Harmon Kardon kit, again from ebay around £80. Full control over the ipod although - Harder to self fit, I imagine that you would need to drill the dash to mount it and you are prob going to have cables showing, also its an fm modulator so how does the sound compare to an AUX input ?

So there are my choices. I think im pretty much set on the dension, but any suggested help / comments on the above solutions would be much apprecited.

cheers

I have the Harmon Kardon Kit and it works wonderful all with NO cables/wires showing, i also installed it myself. I will take pictures today and post them. I hate wires too so that was a big concern for me. As for the FM Modulator part, I purchased the HK piece that runs through the Antenna from the HK kit. No static. I am happy with it.

If you buy a Blaupunkt HU it's straight plug & play. You can get a DAB54 for £250 delivered, £50 for the iPOD link cable and away you go. Full control of the iPOD from the HU.
This not only gives you far superior SQ (even with the stock Audi system) but also DAB radio and MP3 CD & MMC support.
FM modulator? What are we regressing back to the 80's? that really is a step backwards.

here are pictures of mine.

hk2zt0.jpg

hk1wb9.jpg

You may be able to control your ipod from the radio but the advange of the HK kit is that you can look at the menus of the IPOD and scroll through them without having to even look down. I have my ipod in center armrest because the HK also charges the ipod too. The FM modulator is just a built in option for those who do not have RCA cables or means of any other input and since AUDI radios don't come with rca hook ups I decided to use the antenna port. Sounds great, works great.

the audi kits have a problem where they are made and a lot of dealers dont know this i was lucky that i had a good audi tech work on my car for two hours, the problem is that the plug 'audi' wire up for you is wired incorrectly it has two wires in the wrong slots this causing it to do nothing but show the audi logo on the ipod.
i have the audi kit in my s3 and it works perfectly no problems sound is great and it is used off the head unit.

I want something to integrate my ipod into my S3 as well.

Don't like the idea of all the extra bits with the HK system so I guess denison is the way to go...

Hi guys,
I have just recieved a dension kit from canada. It inly cost £50 including postage, it looks fantastic, really discrete, and it integrates really well with the HU.
The ipod can either be in playlist mode, allowing full control via HU, or ipod UI mode, which enables full access to the ipod user interface, as well as track skip, fast forward/rewind power on, and off and volume via HU.
The sound quality is great and for £50 I cannot seem to find anything to rival it!
I hope this helps somebody out.

Hi There,

Well spencer, you persuaded me I decided to buy the dension kit from Canada (via ebay). The functionality you describe is pretty much what I want. The HK sounds good, as does the new headunit, however for probably the 10th of the price of a new sound system then this shall last me for now( well until I can afford to enlist Andy's help - lol)

Thanks for everyones help.

Much appreciated.

Here is the link for the dension via ebay, but if you do a worldwide search for dension Audi , then it will come up

Ebay Link

P.s postage is $32.99 to the uk

Hi,

When you say that the Audi Ipod Adapter is incorretly wired to just show the audi logo, could you explain more about what should be done and is possible? I have opted for this in my new A3 and although I accept the limitation, I am interested in this?