A3 8L front speaker upgrade option...?

P

Pete69zx

Andy Mac this is possibly another one for you...

What is the max mounting depth for the front speakers in an A3 8L?

I ideally want, the greatest RMS speaker i can find, allthough quality is the deciding factor here (as im sure it is with anyone that enjoys good clear precise music).

As an example i have found these possibilties...

Magnat Xcess 102
xcess102.jpg

Principle - 2 way coax system
Power Handling RMS/max. - 60 / 110 Watts
Impedance - 4 Ohms
Frequency response - 42 - 32000 Hz
Crossover Frequencies - 3800 Hz
Sound pressure level - 90 dB
DIN-Diameter - 100 mm
Outer diameter - 139 mm with grille
Cutting out - 94 mm
Mounting depth - 48 mm

Infinity Kappa 42.7i
kappa427.jpg

Diameter: 4" (10cm)
Power Handling, RMS: 50 watts
Power Handling, Peak: 150 watts
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m): 93dB
Frequency Response: 75Hz – 25kHz
Nominal Impedance: 2 Ohms
Mounting Depth: 46mm
Cut-Out Diameter: 88mm

Thoughts & suggestions please.

Cheers.

You have about 60mm, but that needs to include the adapter ring neede to be able to mount the speaker on the original mounting posts. I'd allow 10mm for this so 50mm for speaker depth. I certainly wouldn't use coax speakers in the front doors, you need 2 way components with a 1" tweeter.
Don't expect too much mid bass from the woofer, remember it is mounted on a flimsy door card loosely hooked onto a metal door. Make sure you Dynamat the hell out of it.

I wouldn't spend a fortune on any speakers for the A3. Remember they are being driven off a puny 2 x 20w internal HU amp and they are mounted to the doorcard so you could install the best speakers in the world and the improvement will be marginal.
The issue with the 8L A3 is bass. Until you address that with a sub then you'll never get anything close to a satisfactory sound.
I've installed Infinitys 50.5's and Rainbows SLX230's in the past, but you really need to add an amp and filter off the low end as the doorcards can't handle anything approaching even mid bass before they start to struggle.
If this is the only upgrade you are considering then I'd save a bit more money and add a sub first as this will have the most dramatic improvemnt.