Phatnoise And Changer Cable..Oh Joy! Help!!!

kevlar

Reaction score
Hi all - hope someone will help me out here, i have a 54 A3 sline 3 door, i bought a new phatnoise off ebay which i beleive is a vw one as the connector is rectangular(?).

The changer cable i have is rectangular on the boot end which fits to the phatnoise nicely! - however the headunit end (headunit is concert stock!!) has a blue connector which can only be connected to the headunit by removing the rectagular block (which after having it fitted!! worked out this removes any sound to my rear speakers!) even when plugging in the blue end the phatnoise is not recognised at all.

How the hell do you connect the phatnoise to the rectangular block which exists already? can you get a connector or do i just have the wrong cable or even wrong phatnoise??

Any help would be great as im not happy!!

Cut away the section for the CD changer on the 20 pin connector or move the pins into the empty sockets of the 20 pin connector. It sounds like you are also missing ground connection which is why it isnt working on it's own, that is quite common when they are not working as it grounds itself from the pin 10 on the 20 pin connector. Is there a brown wire loose anywhere?

the ground on the changer end is connected im sure, i will need to check it (this was installed for me i have not installed it!) - so you thenk the blue connecter head un it end is wired correctly? to use straight in the headunit then?

i moved the pins into the exsisting socket i would make note of the pin positions prior to removing them to ensure they go to the correct positions on the exsisting block. Pretty easy to do & didnt take long its like for like really.

If you don't fancy moving the pins you can buy the Blaupunkt RCA adapter which plugs into the rear amp section, then add the RCA input adapter which plugs into the existing Audi loom to give you back the rear amp.

Intereseting where can i purchase this blaupunkt adaptpor?

Big Halfords stores probably do them, but you can get the output lead here for £10:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=79

And the adapter to plug into the Audi loom here for £15:
http://www.bluespot.co.uk/install/show_model.asp?id=15
Scroll down to the PC9-404

Essentially just an off the shelf alternative to cutting the single black mini ISO plug in half or fitting the Phatnoise pins into it. On earlier Audi's the 20 pin mini-ISO connector was in three sections blue/green/yellow. So you could unclip the blue CD changer section and clip in the blue Phatnoise section to form one bigger connector. Later models they decided this was far too convenient so used one solid black connector.
The Green or middle section is the CANBUS, Blue is CD changer and Yellow is the front/rear pre-outs.
You need to check that the HU runs OK with the CANBUS section removed. You may find it turns itself off after an hour, so you'd need to revert to butchering the plug by chopping off the CD changer section or inserting the pins as already suggested.

Andy thanks for the reply however i dont have bose does this matter at all?

No forget the description they give. There's no such thing as a half amplified Bose system, that's the one for non-Bose.

Ok so this will give me my rear speakers back, but i cant see how it will make the phatnoise work? as when the black connecter is removed from the headunit and the blue cd changer cable is plugged in - it appears to acknowledge the phatnoise is attached however the phatnoise does not give you the welcome message.

Sorry for being thick!