Alpine HU replaced BOSE stereo

ak_quattro454

Reaction score
Hi there,
i just changed my factory BOSE stereo and replaced it with an Alpine HU. The speakers all work fine as i fitted an BOSE amplfier adaptor thing.
But when i switch the HU on/off, or change equalizer,put MX on/off. It makes a loud sound like the HU has just blown or the amp has switched off.
Ive been told that the sound is coming from the cars built in amplifier but some ppl have also said it is a common occurence in alpine HU when replacing a BOSE stereo in Audi cars with the Alpine one.

Anyone had the same problem, or have any solutions for this?
will be much appreciated!!

This is not a problem with Alpine, it's a problem with fitting any aftermarket HU to the Bose system using the RCA outputs as the feed to the Bose amp. Bose (and non Bose) use a wierd capacitor input stage to their amps which is not industry standard. Alpine and any other brand will mute/ground the RCA's when doing anything electrically noisey like changing CD, switching on/off etc. This effectively discharges very quickly the capacitors on the input stage to the amp which results in the popping.
The only way round it is to use the speaker input adapter (rather than the RCA input you currently have). Not ideal as it uses a line out converter to take the amplified speaker output from the Alpine back down to pre-out level, only then to be amplified back up again by the Bose amp.
Seriously you'd be far better off removing all traces of the Bose system including the speakers and driving everything off the Alpine. You can't drive the Bose speakers off the Alpine as they are 2 ohm impedance, but they are not the best speakers in the world anyway. If you don't fancy replacng the speakers then replace the Bose amp for a 4ch unit that is stable at 2ohm.

cheers for that.

i was thinkning about changing the speakers any way, getting some alpine components.

I had it running through the normal speaker output instead of the RCA's before. It didnt make that sound but the overall quality of the sound/music coming out was rubbish. The speakers were getting too much power. I couldnt really put it over volume 15, otherwise the speakers started to distort. And you could feel the bass properly at this volume. But now using the RCA output, aprt from annoying sound when i switch it off. the overall quality is soo much better.

how hard would it be to find the bose amp and take it out or dc it?
I have no idea where it is!!!

It's in the righthand cubbyhole sandwiched between the back of the rear lights and the wheelarch.