Audi Nav Plus CD Upgrade time ...

nbowles

Reaction score
I have just return to Audi ownership and for a 2000 model S8.

There is a CD Nav system, analog TV, 6 disc CD changer, gen 1 phone - along with a DVD single slot in the boot driving a rear screen, available to head unit via AV.

I need to get MP3 and DVD control from the HU would be nice. Digital TV is an option, mainly for DAB radio.

Whats out there I should be looking at, and what works more importantly ..

I have found Phatbox, but have over 60gb in iTunes (no iPod), various media switches exist but how do they link to head unit controls?

A 6 disc DVD and digi tuner from satnav systems ...
http://www.satnavsystems.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=27&cat=Audio+%2D+Video+%28AV%29

OR, do I just get a newer Nav system and whats required to upgrade?

:think: any help and experiences gratefuly recieved, as I'm going crazy trying to find sensible advice

Nige

You could swap the RNS-D in your S8 for the RNS-E, then add Dension 400 gateway and link an Ipod without losing your CD changer. Then swap out the Analogue tuner for a Dietz Dual DVB-T tuner and have the TV in motion mod done to the RNS-E so you can see the rear DVD or the TV whilst moving. Also you could add 2nd generation Audi bluetooth to integrate to the RNS-E.

Only thing you would not achieve in all of this would be DVD control, but your would get Mp3's, Ipod control, DVB-T, Widescreen DVD navigation and Bluetooth.

wow ... almost everything.

What does a RNS-e do for me that my current unit doesn't. I have upgraded the software and although its not to TomTom spec, its no bad now.

I have also just bought a crable for the gen 1 phone kit, will that still work.

Where do I get this stuff, and roughtly how much am I looking at.

The RNS-E is faster, widescreen (6.5"), has a europe wide DVD, carries 2 mp3 SD card slots for upto 8GB of music, plays Mp3 CD's from the navigation DVD disk drive.

It integrates with the Audi OEM bluetooth kit to display phonebook, callers etc.

It can be programmed for TV on the move without additional cables/switches etc or interfering with the GALA or navigation.

And it looks great....

As for getting this stuff, nearly everything is available through ebay if you want to DIY.

Or I can supply and install everything for you, PM me for prices.

Craig