AUDI A3 (8P) + BOSE

galewis

Reaction score
Hi... Dissapointed to read the bad press most people are giving the BOSE speakers on the A3. Doubly so, given that I recently placed an order for a new A3 Sportback with BOSE before reading up about it. Too late to change the order now... ho hum.

From what I can tell, most of the criticism seems to be aimed at the sub. Can I ask therefore if anyone has any recommendations for a sub upgrade please? I'm given to understand that the BOSE sub is quite well concealed in the boot and I would be looking for the replacement sub to be equally 'tidy' and not take up additional boot space if at all possible.

Conversely, if anyone is really happy with the BOSE performance, I would be grateful to read their thoughts together with any tweaks to the settings that have helped get the best out of what, on paper at least, should be a pretty decent audio system.

Will be running the BOSE from the new Symphony II+ headunit if it makes any odds.

Thanks

Gary

I've read some of this negative rep too and to be honest I think my Bose sounds great! Mine is on the Concert II and I tend to listen to high bit rate MP3s via a Sony Hi-MD or HDD player. Mostly dance/house/trance. Can't fault it.

I would imagine that if you have an ICE background then fair enough you may find it lacking but I don't and would never start messing around with amps, speakers, headunits etc.

Give it a go before you start thinking about spending £££ :)

<edit> No tweaks either. Everything set to '0'. </edit>

That's what I was hoping to hear....Thanks for the response Rich...

Gary, you will find that most of the criticisms of the Bose system is on the 8L A3, which is perfectly justified. From feedback on here it seems they have improved the system on the 8P (and it needed it), so you'll probably be pleasantly surprised. Car Audio is so subjective so until you actually hear it (& not in a showroom), with your type of music, no one can really comment on whether its impressive or not.
There are people on here who think the standard non Bose setup on the 8L A3 is excellent, and it plainly is the worst sounding system I've ever heard in a car, especially an relatively expensive car. But when you consider there are also people who spend money of hideous ringtones, listen to Dido and think Big Brother is entertainment, it's difficult to generalise. So all down to personal preference and expectation.

Yep, what he said.

I think it comes into it's own at higher volumes too. Well it seems to with the sort of music I play.

That's exactly where the 8L version is flawed, the tupperware sub just farts if you wind it up to any volume, in fact I've seen some that have actually broken the plastic which holds the front speaker plate to the box. I guess there's a limit to how far you can push second grade plastic sub enclosures.