BOSE Speaker distorting

marctwo

Reaction score
The front left main speaker has started distorting in my S3. I have not played anything at high volume, it just started happening. It happens all the time, not just when the music is loud. Seems it's mostly the mid-range that's distorted and it sounds alsmost like it's being played at a very low bit rate.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

If not then how do I access the speaker to check it myself?

If I need a new one, where can I get it from and how much would it be?

Thanks people.

Marc

Most likely blown speaker, Bose speakers seem to blow quite regularly (even when they're not blown!).
Ebay is your best bet. I think all the Bose 4" units are the same regardless of Audi model but I could be wrong.
You need to take the door card off to get to it.

AndyMac said:
Most likely blown speaker, Bose speakers seem to blow quite regularly (even when they're not blown!).
Ebay is your best bet. I think all the Bose 4" units are the same regardless of Audi model but I could be wrong.
You need to take the door card off to get to it.

Thanks. I'll see if I can get it out to test with and start looking at ebay.

If I can't get OEM units, are there any direct replacements I could get? I seem to remember the BOSE units are 4ohm?

No the Bose units are 2 ohm, but 4 ohm won't hurt.
There are no direct replacements so you'll need fitting adapters in order to mount aftermarket speakers. Standard units are 4" but you can squeeze 5.25" units in the front doors.
If you do go aftermarket then I'd recommend buying a set of 2 way components as the Bose setup uses the standard Audi Nokia 1" tweeters which are shyte so worth replacing at the same time.

I had had a similar problem on my drivers side speaker.

I tested it by removing the speaker from the door card and wiring it up to my hi fi, and it worked perfectly.

I seem to have cured it by placing small rubber grommets to space the speaker slightly further away from the mountings, and slightly undoing the lowest torx speaker securing bolt. Somewhere on the cone it appeared to be touching the mounting/grille.

If it comes back, fingers crossed it wont, then i will dremmel the protuding circular grille back a bit.

Hope this helps :shrug:

Thanks chaps, that's really helpful. I assume I'll need to remove the door card to investigate. Never done this before, can anyone let me know what to do?

Ok, its dead easy, here goes:

2 small self tappers, 1 on each side at the top of the door, the one by the wing mirror will need a short handled screwdriver as there isnt too much room.

1 screw in the grab handle recess, then remove this part, it comes out by by pulling it down and slightly towards the front of the car.

You can now see 2 screws where you just removed the part above, take them out.

The door card now lifts up and away from the door, but dont take it off yet. Make sure you support the card at this point!

You need to unclip the opening mechanism, and then unclip the switches that are on the inside door handle and the other speaker connectors. You'll see what i mean when you get there.

Once youve done this it just lifts up and away

As the haynes manual says, re-fitting is the reverse of removal!:thumbsup:

AndyMac said:
No the Bose units are 2 ohm, but 4 ohm won't hurt.
There are no direct replacements so you'll need fitting adapters in order to mount aftermarket speakers. Standard units are 4" but you can squeeze 5.25" units in the front doors.
If you do go aftermarket then I'd recommend buying a set of 2 way components as the Bose setup uses the standard Audi Nokia 1" tweeters which are shyte so worth replacing at the same time.

Andy - how much am I looking at to replace the front mids and tweeters? Where can I get the adaptors from?

Try Boston Accoustics, they make some incredible sounding speakers

my front drivers side bose speaker is distorting too and ive only just bought them! Grrrrrrrr!!
Decided to upgrade the front speakers altogether!
I got my adaptors off ebay, brand new £5.00

Ash

I can't understand why so many people have problems with the BOSE speakers, i had them factory fitted and they are perfect, even at high volumes, i don't have them about 20 much though due to the fact I have a 10" JL Audio sub and its deafening above 20.

I think you've answered your own question there Chris. If you've added a decent sub, then the Bose system is only handling minimal bass. If you drive the standard system with the factory sub, then it can't cope and you get problems further down the line.

Does anyone know the part numbers for the front BOSE speakers in the S3?