Concert head unit

Cannonz

Reaction score
I'm having a sort of what can be described as a volume problem..?
in the morning when i get into the car and turn the radio on the volume button sometimes works and sometimes i've got to turn it back and forward several times before i get any volume, 9/10 times i always get deafend as it always comes on really loud when it does come back, when driving about during the day the volume button seems to work fine, how weird is that..??
and also is there any resolve to this.???

Thanks

It's a common problem on the Concert HU. Basically means it's fcuked and will get worse. There is a fix for about £80 or so, but really not worth it.
It's to do with the way it stores the settings on the HU, i.e. even if you disconnect the battery the volume, bass, treble etc are stored in the memory of the HU. Over time the HU runs out of memory (can you believe that?) As the volume is the one people fiddle with the most then this is the one that gets effected first. Nice one Audi!

Hi m8,

Silly question but i noticed that the vag-com software has a diagnostic bit for the radio could this reset the memory on it or is it an actual hardware issue that needs replaced and not a software one..??

Thanks

Hardware issue I am afraid (failure of the memory chip).

The memory has only so many times it can read/write before it gives up the ghost (like a camera memory card) the way Audi set up the radio (every time the volume knob is moved up or down it is re-written to non-volatile memory) means it reaches this figure surprisingly quickly.

bummer good old German engineer great car lousy audio unit :(
Oh well the next problem i'll probably have is when it completley packs in and i add a new head unit i wont be able to use my vag-com cable as i've been told it doesnt work properly unless it's the original head unit as the radio is running through that harness or something like that :(