BOSE Coding - Help Needed!!

JamS3

Reaction score
I have just installed Sat Nav + in my 2003 S3

It is a RNS D unit from a 2002-2003 A4/S4 cut to fit.

Problem is that Iv'e followed the instructions on coding it for the audio via the nav-plus.com website and I'm not sure they are correct as the sound quality is not as good as my old Symphony 2 head unit.

In order to locate the speed signal I have had to remove the Bose ground wire from the harness at the rear of multi plug going into the nav unit. This has been confirmed by resident expert Craig that this wire does nothing only ground the BOSE system so I have grounded this wire elsewhere.

I have coded it as per the website http://www.nav-plus.com/instructions/programming.html

I am wondering what speaker system the S3 with BOSE has, are there no passive speakers (option 0) or are they 2 passive speakers in the front and 2 active in the rear?? (option 2)

Reason I'm asking this is different web sites say different things one says the BOSE system has option 0 and the other states option 2. To add further confusion my old radio was coded 00201 which according to the nav plus site meant 2 passive speakers front, 2 active rear and NO BOSE!!

However the headunit would say BOSE when I turned it on and I had instument display on the dash plus it sounded really good with loads of bass.

I have connected the old radio back in and confirmed the code but now as the ground wire is not in the right connector the radio fails to show the BOSE logo on startup as its getting a speed signal in that connector now, would this happen just because a ground wire is not there??

Sorry for the long post and loads of questions but I'm so near the end of the install now and it's doing my nut in and just want to get it finished!!

J

The Bose EQ coding is switched on/off via grounding the Bose pin on the power ISO. If this is disconnected then the unit will be using normal EQ (which can actually sound better as the Bose EQ is very flat with little variance when using the bass treble controls.
The Bose system in the S3 is:
1 x 4ch amp in rear right cubbyhole driving 4 x 4" speakers and 2 original non Bose tweeters in the front.
The sub is 2 x 4" subs driven off a 100w amp inside the sub enclosure.

So if I have re-grounded the wire on another pin but not the one intended I presume this will still work as its still getting a ground signal?

Plus found some more codes different to the ones on the nav-plus.com site....seems they changed the coding from 2002 the ones on the site are pre 2001.

Steuergerät Codierung (ab Modelljahr 2002)

STG 56 (Radio-/Navigationssystem) auswählen
STG Codierung -> Funktion 07

0?xxx: Radiokonfiguration 4

0 - A8/A2
1 - A4 (B6)
2 - A6
3 - A4 (B6) Cabrio
4 - TT
5 - A3

0x?xx: Radiokonfiguration 3

+1 - Fader aus
+2 - Bose-Anzeige ein
+4 - Aktivverstärker abschalten bei Telefonanruf

0xx?x: Radiokonfiguration 2

+1 - Navigation
+2 - Telefon
+4 - SBS (Sprachbedienung)

0xxx?: Radiokonfiguration 1

+1 - Diversitybox
+2 - CD-Wechsler
+4 - Multifunktionslenkrad

Plus at the minute when I play around with the fader and balance controls I get the following:

Fader Rear Balance Right - No Bass/Sub
Fader Rear Balance Ledt - Bass/Sub working

Fader Front Balance Right - Bass/Sub working
Fader Front Balance Left - No Bass/Sub

Is this correct?

That is correct, the sub runs off one front channel and the opposite rear channel.

Andy do you know if you can change the display from bose back to nothing on the A3 concert jobbie, as it doesn't appear to be balancing correctly on my S3 with bose enabled on the stereo (new stereo in non bose car). I remember reading something about a service menu or something? HELP...

Yes you can but there seems to be conflicting info on how to do it.
Initially we thought it was a VAGCOM job, but apparently this just turns off the Bose welcome when you turn it on and does nothing to the EQ. The EQ is apparently toggled by grounding the Bose pin on the back of the unit (described as GALA on non Bose encoded HU's). So in your case this should already be ungrounded as you are using a non Bose wiring loom.
I've never dabbled with the coding, but I'm intrigued so will dig out my old Audi HU and wire it up and see if grounding the pin makes any difference to the sound.
If the HU is set to Bose EQ then you get very little variance on Bass and Treble as the EQ is very flat, with uncoded then increasing bass & treble has the desired effect i.e. you get a pronounced increase in bass & treble.
When you say it's not balancing correctly what do you mean?

Well there doesn't seem to be anything much coming out of the left front, tried fading to all four corners when I plugged it in and pretty much nothing. Seems to do something wierd to the front right, fading away then back as you move from full to the right across if that makes sense... very wierd...

Infact just checked with my old broken stereo, there is no sound coming out the front left on the new stereo, it seems very unlikely to me that just one channel would fail on the amp, so with that and the wierdness of the balance control I've just got no idea whether it's just how the stereo is programed or if it's ********.

I did and the nakamichi CD400 I bought buzzed like a bitch because of the crap wiring / amp in the sub.

I'm thinking of selling my car so just want it to work with the Audi Stereo, infact the old one only decided to stop working when I took it out to sort a clip rattling.

Well Ive sorted it....

The revised coding for 2002 and up I posted above does not work!

The coding done via vagcom is 217 on my system

Which means 2 - 2 passive speakers front and 2 active rear
1 - Bose System
7 - CD changer and nav display

As Andymac states there is little difference on the bass and treble controls but compared to code 0 (no Bose) in the middle instead of 1 with the Bose set up it can be turned much louder without much distortion and the bass is more listenable, much better!!

At last my sat nav plus install is complete!!

Don't see how it could make a difference but on the Bose system all the speakers are active i.e. none of them run off the HU.

So Andy do I have my speaker setup wrong then?

A number 0 at the front of the code replacing the 2 means no passive speakers which I presume would be right for the BOSE setup but I thought you have to have at least one passive speaker on the nav coding for the voice instructions to come through?

I tried a 0 code but the 2 seems to sound better and my original head unit from the factory was also coded 2?

Would I be damaging anything speaker/sub wise by having the setup on 2 passive front and 2 active rear?

Thanks

Well thanks to Jon and his Vag-Com this is now sorted, the code on my old broken stereo was 00207 and the Bose one I'd got off ebay was 00011. Before Jon changed the code over on the new one the front left channel was doing ****** all, code updated problem solved so these codes seem to do some wierd stuff on my car.

Andy - didn't realise you worked in Amen Corner... that's very close to me (and my dad still works there when he has a desk)

Yes not many desks left there at the moment while they do the refurb. I'm there today actually so must get some sleep.

Jamie

00?xx: Number of passive loudspeakers
0 - no passive loudspeakers (system of sound of Bose)
1 - 1 passive loudspeaker in front on the left of (Bose with telephone)
2 - 2 passive Lautspr. in front and 2 active Lautspr. in the back
5 - 2 passive Lautspr. in front, no active Lautspr. in the back

00x?x: Sound system correction
0 - Standard (no system of sound of Bose)
1 - system of sound of Bose

00xx?: Radio configuration
+1 - fed antenna
+2 - CD change-over switch
+4 - Secondary display (radio/navigation)

If this is correct, then you should have 00011