VSS wire on 06 A3?

I have the same question. I have the Pioneer AVIC Z2, and it requires the VSS (Vehical Speed Signal) hookup.

Thanks!

No it's correct, it doesn't have the VSS wire. This is done over canbus.

You could get a canbus decoder and take the speed pulse off that.

It may be possible to find the VSS from the cluster, I will see if I can find any references to it.

Awesome! I will wait to see what you find out, plus I'll google the canbus adapter, and see if that is something I can do. However, it is getting very crowded behind my radio. ;o)

Also, do you know which wire is for the dimming function, if the Audi harness has that?

Thanks!!!

The cluster does not have VSS so it seems, also the dimmer function is on canbus. So I would get a canbus decoder, not emulator to provide ignition, lights and speed signal.

Ok, there is a speed pulse wire on the ABS system.

A blue/white stripe wire from pin 17 of the ABS control module.

This wire in in place for vehicles with Navigation System low only, but I guess the signal is on the pin if you don't have the NS low. You woild need to add a pin at position 17 on the connector.

Craig

I see that you have a site for retrofitting parts on the Audi. Is there any chance you might be able to sell me or point me in the right direction to get the canbus decoder? And or, it setup as well, if possible?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Canbus decoders can be found from quite a few dealers on the net. The adaptor wil allow you to decode the can signal and get the following dependant on interface:

Ignition sense,
Reverse,
Dimmer / illumination,
Speed pulse
Steering wheel controls

There are some basic canbus convertors that will just give you speed pulse.

As far as I am aware, most ABS systems are still analogue, so as Craig says goto the ABS pump or control module.

You will find the AVIC units will run without the speed pulse wire not connected, the nav is just sometimes a little jerky as its trying to just use GPS and gyro

Andy