S3 Audi Subwoofer Help Please - Pics Incl.

ash_s3

Reaction score
Had my S3 a week now and just realised that the subwoofer wasnt plugged in!
tried to plug it in and the connectors dont fit, they look almost identicle but are slightly diferent! can anyone tell me why this may be?
looks like the sub has been removed / installed before as one of the mounts is broken on it.
here is a pic of the connector (the one im holding)
DSC00044.JPG

and this pic shows the subwoofer and connector
DSC00045.JPG

if someone could shed some light on the problem that would be great!

** Also what is the red connector in the 1st pic for, it has lots of pins in it but wasnt doing anything, was just tucked behind the cd changer - thanks

*** Also (again!) I found this amp on the drivers-side in the boot, does this amp all the speakers in the car or just the rears, i have a symphony headunit and it says BOSE when you switch it on!
DSC00043.JPG

Car is a W reg S3

looks like the car you have is equipped with the BOSE upgrade, but that sub isn't a bose sub... The Bose sub has 2 bass (!) drivers.

does that mean the wiring loom is for the bose subwoofer, wich would explain why the audi one i have at the moment doesnt fit??

thanks for the reply mate

Yes that's definately a non Bose sub, with a Bose system. The previous owner obviously upgraded to a proper sub or stealth sub at some point, sold the Bose sub then couldn't find a replacement when they came to sell the car so thought a non Bose unit would fit.
The non Bose sub has more connectors as it has to drive the rear speakers as well, but not in your car as the fronts and rears are driven off the Bose amp on the opposite side.
You should be able to source a Bose sub off ebay for about £100.

AndyMac said:
Yes that's definately a non Bose sub, with a Bose system. The previous owner obviously upgraded to a proper sub or stealth sub at some point, sold the Bose sub then couldn't find a replacement when they came to sell the car so thought a non Bose unit would fit.
The non Bose sub has more connectors as it has to drive the rear speakers as well, but not in your car as the fronts and rears are driven off the Bose amp on the opposite side.
You should be able to source a Bose sub off ebay for about £100.

cheers andy, would it be worth finding a bose sub? i took one of the front door cards off the other day and it looks like it has audi speakers not bose. could this be the same kind of thing? previous ownder put aftermarket stuff in, sold the bose then put standard stuff back in when selling the car?
thanks
Ash

any idea on the red connector in the top pic, havnt a clue what it does!!

cheers

That looks like the plug for the alarm controller, which is screwed to the inside panel behind the sub: I take it your alarm doesn't work at the moment?
RearBootPanelOutcopy-1.jpg
]

I would say don't waste your money on a tupperware bose sub and buy one of Andymac's MDF sub enclosures...... the modest devil wont push them himself but I bought one and they are fantastic......
They sell themselves......dont have a link to a pic handy though.....

AndyMac said:
That looks like the plug for the alarm controller, which is screwed to the inside panel behind the sub: I take it your alarm doesn't work at the moment?
RearBootPanelOutcopy-1.jpg
]

oh dear! hmm...

took door cards off today and the front speakers just have the audi logo on the back and are 4ohm, so does that mean they are not bose? they sound prety good thou!

(would buy a stealth sub but i want to keep the car as it is realy, dont want to mess about with amps and wiring as ive had all that in the past with previous cars - thanks thou )

4 ohm means they're non-Bose. Don't know how on earth they can sound pretty good, you have no sub and the wrong speakers!

this car is confusing me!

also on your pic the red connector plugs into the alarm box, i dont have an alarm box... :(

it just gets better and better!

can i just get one off a scrapper or will it need to be programmed by audi and cost me big £££?:crying:

I wouldn't bother the Audi alarm is the most pathetic, feeble alarm I've ever heard. Sounds like a clock radio going off. If you want an alarm then go aftermarket.

ok thanks, sorry about all these questions but you seem to know what your going on about and dealers just want ur money!

will an aftermarket alarm work with the audi flip key? dont realy want to have 2 fobs
cheers again!!
ash

No you will have 2 fobs. The aftermarket fob will arm/disarm the alarm, unlock/lock the car and provide full closure unlike the stupid Audi fob which you have to hold down to get the windows to close. The Audi fob is then only used to start the car.