JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
    Counting the Tesco Club points

Status

Analoge TV no more??

If they are conceling the Analoge broadcasting of TV, what are we can we do about the TV tuners in our cars??
    I wonder what Audi are going to do to aid there customers??

Has anyone heard what we can do??

Don't really want to start fitting another dig box in the car with ariels everywhere.
    Audi RS6 Daytona GreyLoving all 455.7BHP of her

2. # ADS
    ADS

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Why should Audi do anything about it?
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

1st Gear

Status
    Don't buy a car with an analogue tuner?

Seriously though, by the time it's turned off, are you really going to have the same car?
    2.0T FSi quattro Sline - Lava Grey
    Bose/Symphony

Status
    What's analogue TV? Thought my gran was the only person left watching it.

Neutral

Status
    you can always sell the analog tuner to ebay. for some countries is too early for digital tv

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I can't think of any reason why I'd want a TV in my car.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

Status
    Especially analogue, what could you possibly want to watch on a tiny screen, that you can hardly see in daylight, from the feeble programs available on analogue?
    DVD, yes, if you have kids, but only at a push.
    Takes all sorts I guess.

Status
    Ouch!!

Looks like I got the wrong end of the stick..
    Loads of people at work have been talking about it and saying they will cancel it the end of this year.
    http://www.retra.co.uk/digital_switchover.htm

TV in the Car....it is a great toy/gadget...yes you only have 5 channels...yes it is a small screen...but who cares?? big enough to watch and see the Nav info on..big enough to watch a dvd..not big enough to play on the PS2 though.

TV in the car..Loads of people want it..something else to listen too..you can't watch while driving as a poor picture but you can listen to it..
    Life would be so boring if everyone liked and wanted the same..wouldn't it?

It takes all sorts?? what is all sorts?? strange odd people who like gadgets, geeks who like to watch TV or have the function in the car?? to be able to watch DVD for his kids to keep amused on a long journey..I must be all sorts then??? Cheers

Audi what they going to do..it wasn't about what they will do for the customer who have the analoge system, but I was working more on the lines of what are they going to do with cars ordered with TV function..but I'm sure they are thinking ahead with this.Believe it or not prople do order this function all the time

Anyway cheers
    Last edited by marmite; 19th August 2006 at 08:33.

Status
    2008-2012, how is that the end of the year?
    There's a difference between gadgets & gimmicks.
    As I said DVD in a car makes perfect sense to keep the kids happy but this thread was specifically about TV tuners. I can understand that listening to daytime TV has to be an improvement on having to watch it as well but can't get that het up about them switching it off. The sooner the better.
    If you want more stuff to listen to then get a DAB receiver/mp3 player.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marmite
    you can't watch while driving as a poor picture
    For God's sake, I can think of a much better reason for not watching TV while driving than the picture being poor! D'uh!

Status
    What the point you ask a question then get bombared by comments not even answering the question.

I don't come here to the forum to read this sort of thing really.

Drive and watch TV.....can you do that..have you tried...think we got enough distractions going on in the car without watchin TV bad enough glaning at a Nav map really...It is more for the passengers and the kids!!

I did admit to the wrong end of the stick thinking it was this year...come on guys..no need for the c_ap comments is there '2008-2012, how is that the end of the year?'

If you want to come to the forum just to run other members down and try to make them look stupid then fine..what ever floats your boat..but is this what it is about???

Gadgets and gimmicks spliting hairs really..

Anyway cheers and I won't worry about the TV function as I won't have this car by then so I won't have to worry really.

BTW Andy check your coolant temp sensor wiring have seen the coolant track up the loom to ECu always worth the check!

Enjoy

1st Gear

Status
    Yer I have to agree, loads of reasons to have TV in the Car, I have it in the Galaxy and its great, front and back, and now I was luck to have it in the RS6, Have to say its great, when I go on a long drive with my 3 year old in tow, she would be able to watch TV or a film while I drive, with a small mod .

I know what some of you are saying about the quality of the signal, I would think the only thing right now todo would be to use a Digi box, as don't think Audi have done one yet for the car, could be wrong.

Status
    Hey this post was all about shutting down analogue TV. Seriously not gonna happen for 5 years. End of post. How has anyone run anyone down?
    "2008-2012, how is that the end of the year?"
    Just a question, thought I'd missed something.
    All other comments were just opinions on the usefulness of having a terrestrial tuner in your car, of which I can't think of any.
    Apart from entertaining the kids, TV tuner not needed as there is no kids TV of any worth on terrestrial, no one has actually come back with any.
    A gadget is actually of some use, a gimmick isn't. Quite a big difference really.
    Thanks for the tip on the coolant sensor BTW, the connector is in very good nick & dry as a bone.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    It seems to me we're talking about two different things here. I can see an strong argument for having rear screens to entertain children, either with a DVD or TV signal, as bored children can arguably be the greatest distraction of all.

But I can see no worth in having a screen visible to the driver when the car is moving. Of course it's a distraction, and a bloody dangerous one too. The only screen I'm interested in when I'm drivng is the windscreeen.

1st Gear

Status
    londen and south east 2012
    if you realy want to fit a digi box in your car you need video in, audio in a wide band aerial(should be fitted with one to recieve all analog chans on) and a 12 volt psu type(with 12 volt car regulator) digi box to put out the way somewhere and go inside and extend the remote sensor normaly 3 wires use 2 core screened cable and find the pin conected to the sensor metal can and use the braid for this lead and the other 2 pins use the 2 cores put the remote sensor where you can aim a remote at it hay presto digi in car.
    but personaly not to sure how the digital signal of digital would react in a car as never tried it.
    hope that helps
    ps a lot of digi boxs radiate a lot of noise(RF signals) so poss not a good idea for your cars brain unless in a metal box and ferrus rings used.
    Last edited by rich dj; 21st August 2006 at 18:50.