My Nokia bluetooth and TomTom One install in S3

jediknight

Reaction score
Website
www.nathanwillits.com
So.. first weekend with the new car.. what better way to get to know it that to take the dash apart :)

Sat nav.... nice and simple.. just wanted to be able to power it without having to stretch a wire across from the cig lighter each time. Took drivers side dash tray off and found a live. Butchered the tomtom supplied charger and wired it in.. wire pops up neatly in drivers corner. Because i didnt want it to always be on though i ftted some tidy swithces in the cubby so i can switch it on and off.

WARNING!!! if your going to do this.. dont make the mistake i did and blow up you tomtom! :( There is a 12v - 5v adapter in the supplied lead with the tomtom one. dont connect straight to 12v without wiring this circuit board into your new lead!!! luckily i was covered by currys whatever happens accidental damage policy so an hour later i had a working unit once again :) WHOOPS!

Bluetooth... i found out that apraently a bose equipped concert HU doesnt support phone input! although you can still get it to mute when a call comes in. never mind... i installed the speaker in the cubby by the drivers door. button by the cruise stalk and mic by the drivers grab handle (but not in the way of it !)

Again... wired it into a live and put my own switch in so i can turn it on and off when i want to. I find this to be much better than ign live as then its ALWAYS connected so if you have a car full of people and get a call from your mum saying tea is ready... it can be a bit embarassing! with the switch i can choose to have it off if i wish.

Pics.

cubby where its all going on

1.jpg

right switch is for bluetooth... left is for satnav

2.jpg

out of my line of sight when driving but easy to find when a call comes in

3.jpg

i may ditch the screen mount if i find a decent dash one that is neat and tidy

4.jpg

cheers

Nathan

yes the main live feed is fused and then each individual switch is fused and also the power adapter for the sat nav is individually fused. all soldered and heat shrinked and then taped :D

i dont know how i messed up with the 12 v/ 5v thing... just wasnt concentrating on that bit :(