What in-car DVD?

Hanley

Reaction score
Okay

We were driving 150 miles at the weekend with our 15 month old son in the back of the car, for most of the way he pretty much just screamed :smile:

Now, if he had been able to watch C-Beebies then life would have been so much more peaceful for me and my wife, so we've decided we'd like to get some sort of in-car DVD system.

Most of the portable systems I've looked at use headphones, now this is no good for me as my son is too young so I think I will need something that goes through the car speaker system.

As we have another baby due in January I figure I may as well have 2 screens put in the back, thinking ahead :nyah:

I admit that I know absolutely nothing about in-car entertainment etc so I thought I'd ask you guys for some help / advice.

I drive an 2006 Audi A4, you're bog standard 1.9TDI, good family car with plenty of space, so I would like 2 screens fitted into the driver and passenger headrests, I would also like to be able to control the unit from the head-unit so I'm assuming I'd need a head unit with a screen in the front (only so the wife can select the menu options and play the dvd etc).

A bonus for me would be if I could play MP3 files from a DVD (not essential).

I don't fancy a tacky screen that just fits over the headrest with wires all over the place as my son would take great pleasure in pulling them to pieces :smile:

In terms of price I don't want to be spending an absolute fortune but I am willing to pay for a well installed, professionally fitted system.

Any suggestions guys?

Cheers

Hanley

:beerchug:

I can't help with the rear screens as that is not my area of expertise, here in manchester I use a company called Enigma for rear screen installations.

But as far as the rest goes, why not use a media player in the boot with a video splitter driving the 2 rear screen and a feed to the front screen. The media player will play Movies and MP3's. And can hold over 300+ movies, so it can be used for Kids and adult (not pron) content

If you have an A4, then install a DVD nav system with TV input and use that as the 3rd screen, or add TV input to the Nav system if you already have it. Then your wife can select the TV screen and cchose something for the kids. The media player has a magic eye which can be located at the front of the car so your wife has control of the unit with a little remote control.

I've seen child seats with built in speakers for kids so they can listen to their music etc whilst you have the sound of the radio/CD etc focussed to the front of the car.

Just some thoughts, but that is the route I would take, its simple and easy to use.

The media player can also be used at home on a conventional TV or plasma screen, it has composite/component/s-vidoe outputs and analogue/diagital audio. It is updated via a USB2 port.

Cheers s8craig

By media player do you mean a pc type media player?

The media player is not a PC, it is a stand alone hard disk based mpeg player.

Rapsody RSH-100 with car kit, around £150 + whatver disk you can afford/need to install.