rca line converter

khalil

Reaction score
can anyone help,
on my audi a3 i got a my own sub and amp put in leaving the originall head unit and speckers,what i noticed is that the chap at the shop took the signal from behind the head unit of the rear speckers, which is fine, but he did not use a rca line converter, he simply cut off the rca at the ends and tapped the signal that way, so if he was to use a rca line converter would it make a difference to the signal, and if so which is a good rca converter

I'm assuming you mean he took the signal off the rear pre-outs on the back of the HU, not the rear speaker outs (as their aren't any on the standard Audi HU, and even if there were you can't use speaker outs as a feed to RCA inputs for an amp). That being the case then there is no difference doing it his way or using the correct RCA adapter. What you are referring to is a line level converter which is only used when the HU has no RCA or pre-outputs. This converter then takes a high level speaker output and converts it back down to pre-out/RCA level with all the extra noise and hiss this entails.
Another device is a line level booster which beefs up the pre-out signal, but again no need for this with the correct amp, and it only adds more electroincs/noise/interference to the system.

what i can see what his done is when i pulled off the head unit (which is BOSE SOund) i can see the my amps RCA cut off the ends and his connected to the rear speckers wire i can see the joint his made, i know they rear speckers because when i use the fader on the HU the sub does go off

There are no rear speaker wires anywhere near the HU.
On the Bose system there are no speaker wires full stop. All the speakers are driven off the amp in the right hand cubbyhole in the boot. So the splice you are referring to has to be on the pre-outs which is fine. But I imagine you get a slight pop from the sub when you turn on the HU, which is also normal.