whats this bose all about?

bigblokey0

Reaction score
im trying to fit my alpine stereo so im looking for a connector but what one do i need i was asked about bose what is that ?

Bose is the make of the upgrade speaker set up. If your speaker grilles have the Bose logo on them then you'll need an adaptor to fit an after market headunit in with it.

ahhh right well mine aint got the bose speakers so ill be needing the pc9-401 lead but my alpine hu has rca outputs so i can use the pc9-404 but how does it connect to the speakers?

The Bose "upgrade" includes a 4 channel amp in the boot, whereas the standard system only has the rear speakers seperately amped, so in order to hook up an aftermarket HU you need to know which one you've got, although why they don't just supply the Bose one which would work for non-Bose as well. If you haven't got Bose then it is advisable to bypass the factory amp and rewire the rear speakers directly to the new HU as it is superior quality and more powerful. In this case you don't need an adapter (unless you also have a factory sub), so depends on what car you have.

well my car is a 2000 plate a6 so i dont need to buy an adapter then ??? and how do i rewire the rear speakers the stereo does plug straight into the audi wireing however there was no power to the unit

The Audi power loom (big black plug) has no ignition on feed wired into it, so you need to either wire one in from the fusebox or just connect the new HU's perm live and switched live together and turn the unit on/off manually.
To rewire the speakers you need to buy a male & female standard speaker harness (£3 each from Maplins or Halfords), then plug the male one into the brown Audi front speaker loom to give you the existing fronts, then join the fronts to the corresponding wires on the female connector. This will leave you with 2 pairs of cables on the female connector which need to be connected to 4m of speaker cable and run to the rear of the car. Then disconnect the existing wiring from the speakers and connect the new wiring. Job done. Just ensure that positive is connected to positive, and negative to negative otherwise you'll get the fronts cancelling the rears.