Woodstock DAB

owdgit

Reaction score
Hi, cheers Andymac, I just took the plunge and bought the Woodstock DAB54 HU, looks great.
Should this plug directly into Audis original wiring and work?
I tried and it worked OK with the ignition off, as soon as you switch the ignition on the unit makes a loud humming noise via the speakers.
If I bought the Blaupunkt adapter cable would I also need the steering wheel adapter aswell to make the steering wheel controls work?
Is there any adapter that still shows the radio/cd info in the DIS?
Thanks and sorry for being long winded.
Chris

It should work with the existing Audi cabling no problem, mine did.
When you say loud humming noise is that engine interference (does it rise with the revs)? Is it through all speakers or just the rears?
The Blaupunkt adapter won't help you as this is for adding aftermarket amps to either the Blaupunkt HU or the original Audi ones.
The steering wheel adapter should work but there is no interface for the DIS on any HU.

It makes the noise with the ignition switched on and without the engine running, the note doesn't change when the engine is running.

Very odd, is it all speakers or just the rears?
Is it across all sources i.e. FM/DAB/CD etc?
Can you post a photo of the wiring at the back of the HU?
Also remember to disconnect the centre speaker while you've got the HU out.
If you look at the speaker harness you'll see 2 thin wires doubled up across the main front speaker wires, just cut one of them.
This won't help with the noise but will improve the overall sound immensely as the centre speaker is tuned to the sound of a baby crying and sounds very harsh.

Thanks,
Yes, its across all sources, cd radio and dab. The only thing non-standard is the telephone kit but that is 'live' when the ignition is off.
I think it is all speakers, I am away on my bike from today till Tuesday, I will get a photo and check the speakers when I get back.
Chris

Many thanks to AndyMac, he sorted the problem, it was me! I had plugged in all the original Audio wiring including the red plug which is dedicated for the original Audi HU only.
Everything is all hunky-dory once I changed the switched and permanent live feed around.
It is an excellent unit and the improvement, even with the standard speakers, is well woth the hassle and expense.
Once again, thanks AndyMac and if we ever meet I owe you a big beer.

No problem, glad you got it sorted.
Do you find the front speakers are way louder than the rears when using the Audi amp?
I did, and couldn't work out why as the DAB54 isn't exactly overpowered at 4 x 25wrms. It wasn't a problem for long as I ripped out all the Audi stuff, installed a stealth sub, Alpine V12 amp for sub and Alpine front components and just run the original rears off the HU.