gathering earth is brown or black

speakers from headunit are coloured etc, and sometimes go color to color

eg white to white
grey to grey
green to green
purple to purple

anyone know

cheers

browse the forum www.navplus.us - there are lots of diagrams and info about audi radio wires there - you'll probably find what you need

The wiring disgram is on top of the OEM head unit.
Perm live is denoted by UB+ and usually Red/white stripe
Switched live is denoted by S-kont and usually yellow with red stripe.
Ground is Brown
If you buy a standard ISO power harness plug you will be able to just connect it up to the standard Audi power harness and all you then need to do is swap the perm live and switched live as Audi typically have them the wrong way round.
You'll also need a aerial amp.

hi guys i got the diagram on top etc

i do need help here

on the audi you got

brown = earth . . . so this goes to the my black earth wire on the alpine
blue red stripe on the audi goes to what ?
blue and white on the audi goes to what
and the white ( i think) goes to what on the audi ?

speakers are easy and are colour coded so not a problem i just cant get any power to the headunit

remember me wires are chopped :)

If in doubt just buy a 12v testing screwdriver from Halfords and check them.
But if you have the diagram on top of the Audi HU and you have the ISO plug on the Audi loom, this should tell you what goes where, unless the ISO plug is chopped on both the Alpine HU and the Audi loom.
Using colour coding alone is a bit hit or miss as Audi regularly change it.

its an alpine headunit i got , i know the alpine end whats what i just need to know what wires do what on the audi loom mate

havent got a tester etc may go get one but easier if someone could tell me LOL

If you have the Audi loom ISO connector intact then the perm live will be directly above the ground, then the switched live 3rd along from the ground as shown on the diagram on top of the Audi radio.

i never had an audi radio i had a sony tape player in there which i have removed

here is the wires in question

left wire is blue and white striped
brown = earth
3rd wire is white
4th wire (right hand side) blue and red

my red wire on headunit goes to which one of them and the yellow wire on headunit goes to which one of them, as ive tried some combinations and its not playing yet i know the headunits workin ok

cheers , soz 2 be a pain

wires.jpg

as described in the post HERE

that is the problem i have i cant get any power to the headunit anyways , i went to a local audio place to me and they can install a ignition wire for me for £35 , but ill have a stab at something tonight and when i got more free time ill get them to install me one, i got something i want to try tonight and go from there

As already suggested you need to buy a testing screwdriver for about £2. Then check that one of the wires gives perm live, and if none of the others give an ignition on 12v then check which fuse is "radio S-Kont) in the manual and run a wire from there to the HU.
Or simply connect both 12v feeds to the Alpine to the perm live and rely on switching the unit on/off manually.

i got told by that company how to set it up today how to run the 2 wires to the perm live and i know which one it is now, its the red n blue striped one, so ill turn it off and on manually for now , ill wire in a ignition wire myself or get them to do it :)

ok update 20.06.2006 - really need some help here, please excuse the waffell just trying to cover myself as best i can etc

heres the situ -

i have got an alpine mp3 headunit all my alpine wires are chopped

the audi loom is all ok but i have removed the iso off the audi loom (the power part) not the speakers, i guess i could rewire up if need be , but as said the alpine loom is fully chopped ! . . . nevermind

right you got 4 wires on the audi loom for the power side of things

1 brown (earth) this would obviously go to the black alpine earth wire
2 red and blue (stereo company told me the fuse for this in the fuse box has blow)
3 white wire
4) blue and white striped wire

i want my headunit to work , i know there isnt an ignition on wire so the keys in and on and off thing wont work unless you wire a wire in for this

the stereo company i went to this lunchtime told me that the fuse in the fusebox for the wire of blue and red has blown , ok no biggie ill replace it, they said because my alpine headunit is 200 watts well 60 x 4 etc, they said it has to have a power wire put in from the battery through the bulkhead to power it and same for an earth ! which sounds very odd to me , ive used this headunit for a while not just in 1 car even and its been spot on so i cant see this myself unless its an audi thing , if it is an audi thing is the loom not powered enough for it

i was told if i join the red wire and yellow wire on the headunit together and join it to the red and blue wire on the audi end this would work i was told but it wont work at present because the fuse has "suposidly blown" yes no ?

does this sound weird to anyone

can anyone help , can anyone offer there services and wire it in for me , and ill componsate them in fundage etc or tell me what to do, its just driving me mad lol , i can wire a ford stereo in , in my sleep because ive been in the ford scene for 6 years , ok i am a audi virgin, but i am just scratching my head over this big time

any help is really really apriciaited cos iam pulling my hair out now

just want the stereo in and working not worried re the ignition thing for now

cheers

Scott

why did you take the iso off the audi loom? why not just wire the alpine into an iso socket as it was before it was cut, then use an autoleads adapter?

dunno mate i just did , i can always rewire it up i still got it, how u mean by the autoleads adaptor i have heard of them but not sure what u mean etc

autoleads adapters are like travel adapters for cars, they let you plug aftermarket stereos into factory wiring, withough buggering about with the wiring, they jst plug into the ISO's.

what model alpine HU is it?

i could put the iso back onto the audi loom be a bit fidly but do-able

i know what u mean re the autoleads bits etc

my alpine headunit is the 7893r model

okay then. Go to halfords and buy both parts of an Iso shell, including pins, and an A4 autoleads adapter (beware, if its a really early a4, you may need an audi 80 autoleads adapter)

Replace the iso on the audi loom as it was cut.

re-wire the alpine iso as per the manual:
http://www.restricted.alpine-electronics.co.uk/support/ownersdatabase/CDA-7893R/OM_CDA-7893R_EN.pdf

connections are on the last pages.

then check your fuses, which are under the side panel of the dashboard - drivers side. You have to open the door to get to the panel, it just pulls off.

finally, connect the stereo using the ISO's and the autoleads adapter.

Good luck.

ill give it a go tommorow as i cant do it tonight and ill let u know how i get on , hopefully it will work but iam a bit skeptical on rewiring this iso on the audi part from scratch

ill have a try n see how i go

Scott

sorry mate but that may as well be chinese to me !

sorry !

just amazes me how a ford can be so different and a piece of **** 2 wire up compared to an audi

iso's or not it should be straight forward i would of thought to say , that wire goes 2 there etc n what not , speakers are the easiest bits, just the 4 wires are what the pain is ..

if you really think the iso idea is a great idea then ill try it but me myself dont care if its bullet connectors etc or not etc, i am just getting so damm hacked off with it the fact its not straight forward enough etc and if it dont work out ill hand the car to one of them monkeys to sort !

you dont need to be able to read the russian... the picture shows the power iso connector, its the very top connector on the diagram. As you know which wire position would have plugged in from the OEM loom, you should now know what they are, or what they do - you just need to transpose this to the alpine diagram.

as this diagram show what audi wires are which, and the alpine manual tells you the same, you shouldn't need to fork out on the extra connectors.

i wired the red (ignition) and yellow (battery) on the headunit together and wired them to the blue and red wire on the audi loom and then speakers which was easy ! due to iso etc, and it all works spot bo**ock and you just got to turn it off and on manually

Scott

28th June

would the current setup i got cause the battery to drain at all

eg from above

earth brown to earth black on hu

red and yellow wired together on hu going to the blue n red wire on the audi loom

and then speakers to the relevant speakers

or could it be my batterys on its last legs ? as car hasnt moved since friday and come wednesday it was flat as just enough power to do the central locking and give me the 3 bleeps on ignition when i put the key in ?

If you don’t turn off the unit at night it will draw power but as stated by others if you by one if those cheap circuit tester all you would need to do is earth it with the crocodile clip and put the screwdriver bit on to the wires to find ignition live. Remember you have to remove the key each time because the ignition live stays on until you remove the key.

Also how have you hooked up the internal aerial as this needs a live feed from the remote wire or as this been bridge direct to the live in that case that is your drain.

If it's on its original battery they only last about 5 years, so it could be the culprit, but if you've had no trouble in the past then I'd check the wiring first. On those photo's you sent through someone seems to have butchered various wiring to the head unit for a phone kit, so it could be causing a drain. It doesn't take much, an interior light will do it over 6 days.

docurley

where you have said
Also how have you hooked up the internal aerial as this needs a live feed from the remote wire or as this been bridge direct to the live in that case that is your drain.

what color wire is this ? and what one should it go to on an alpine headunit as this hasnt been done

AndyMac said:
If it's on its original battery they only last about 5 years, so it could be the culprit, but if you've had no trouble in the past then I'd check the wiring first. On those photo's you sent through someone seems to have butchered various wiring to the head unit for a phone kit, so it could be causing a drain. It doesn't take much, an interior light will do it over 6 days.

the battery looks newish if honest

it may be this internal aerial thing i didnt wire it up i need to by the sounds of it

can anyone help me here which wire is it so i know :confused:

I don't think the B5 A4 has an external amp for the aerial, mine didn't seem to have a feed for it, the power antenna/remote on wire wasn't present on the power ISO connector. I just used an aftermarket antenna amp and wired it to the blue power antenna wire on the Alpine HU.
Scotty, if you haven't wired it up then it can't be draining anything anyway, but your radio reception can't be good.

i never listen to the radio ever lol

that is true andy mate re draining ill just keep me eye on it

as on the above pic i got a white wire and a white and blue one wired to nothing at present. everythinhg else is workin ok