S3 - Audio Switched Live Feed

col6821

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm in the process of fitting an after-market Head Unit with the autoleads PC9-401 adapter, the the S3 only has a permanent live feed to the radio wiring (as far as I can see).
Where can I pick up a switched (1st click) live feed from, any idea's, I don't want to have to turn the radio off manually every time I leave the car?

Thanks.

Col

If there isn't one on the power ISO connector for the radio (yellow with a red stripe) then you'll have to pick it up from the fuse box. Look for fuse labelled Radio S-Kont in the manual, fuse 30 IIRC.

there should be both permanent and switched wires to your iso block.
Permanent is there to keep the radio stations/settings saved when you turn the car off.
Switched ignition is obviously there to turn the radio on when the ignition is.

From what I can remember, you should have a red wire and a yellow wire going into the iso block. On your aftermarket headunit, you need to swap these over, ie:
red to yellow
yellow to red.

Not necessarily, Audi stopped using ignition on feed on all models at around 2000/01 and they all now use the CANBUS to tell the HU when the ignition is on/keys out etc.

Thanks all, off to the fuse box it would be........
If only I could get a decent FM signal from the aerial!!!
So far I've tried an autoleads 'powered' connector to the standard aerial, no joy, and an autoleads 'powered' connector to the small aerial lead that's usually connected to the middle rear of my Concert HU, still no joy.
I've even 'bodged' them both together to connect to the new HU, but then the signal seems too strong and I just get interferrence (especially with the engine running).
I'm considering a standard screen mount amplified aerial, but think it will look messy!
Any idea's??

I'd try a different brand of aerial amp, Autoleads products are traditionally shyte although can't see how even they could manage to botch a simple aerial amp.

Bit confused on how you managed to connect the amp to 2 different aerial leads. The fat aerial lead plugs into the amp, the amp plugs into the HU then you need to connect the flying lead off the amp to the power antenna output on the HU to give it power when switched on. There is no other configuration and the small aerial lead connected to the middle of the concert rear is just an earth lead to the chassis so how you've managed to include this in the mix is a mystery.
Have you tried uing a small screwdriver directly on the HU aerial input (centre core) as this should provide perfect FM reception - just to check the problem is with the aerial/amp.

Cheers AndyMac, I'll try the screwdriver trick next.

The smaller aerial connection still looks like coax and Autoleads make a booster for this as well PC5-137 (purchased from bluespot.co.uk). The usual aerial booster is PC5-52.
Basically, I've chopped the coax of both boosters and joined them together, terminating in a traditional aerial connector ready for the HU, as all the previous configurations just didn't provide consistent results. Interstingly, the Concert HU doesn't receive reception with either cable disconnected.
If the screwdriver works, I'll try an alternative booster supplier.

Thanks again for your help.

Well I've never sen that on an A3/S3. I don't think joining them together is a good idea, they are obviously seperate for a reason. If there is a second aerial then it is likely to be one for AM and one for FM, so you only really need the main one.