CD CHANGER PROBLEMS

DIPS_A4

SEAT LEON CUPRA R (225)
Reaction score
hi all i been recently been having problems with my cd changer placed on the boot a4 b5. it freezes and shows err3 on the screen it happends more in summer and it gets annoying. i was considering going for an after market system but im happy with the standard system in my car. is this a common problem?

Hi Dips_A4

I had the same problem with mine. It gradually gets worse until it hardly plays at all. I'm not sure if it was a fault with the changer, cabling or head unit and didn't fancy spending too much to find out.

Then my head unit started developing the common volume fault.

I'd move away from the old technology and go for an MP3 player. You can fit a fair amount of tracks on one cd, enough to accomodate most journeys.

I have a similar problem with my 98 unit, the "sound" changes as if some part of the speaker stops working. When I first got the car 5 weeks ago the rear speakers dropped out a few times but I’ve not had that since. The main issue seems to be the Changer freezes along with sound dropping and I've had a few Err0's and Err3's but usually they don't show, just the changer freezes on whatever cd and track is loaded. I’m like you, not sure whether it’s the head unit, wiring or changer. I’m just thinking of getting a DVD mp3 system to supersede the standard unit. The only thing I’m wary of is thieves breaking into the car once you have an after market player fitted despite it not being on show. They just don’t bother with standard kit!

Hi Doeboy,

You've got a fair point about the security issues with ICE.

I suppose it boils down to common sense, my car is parked in a garage at home and in a secure car park while at work so security has never been an issue (he says touching wood).

I suppose if you make sure there's nothing left in the car then there's nothing they can steal.

Back to the point, when you start getting problems then i think it's time to upgrade, can't see the point in putting good money after bad.

yeah true say guys ice security plays an imporantant key specially with audi factory standard system. ive got a driveway with my bros occy vrs and parents 5 series its a low crime area also work has safe parking also, but when i park it around uni the area is known for street crime. ive been looking at kenwood units n pioneer ones as long as it is mp3 its ok keep 1 good cd with the best tracks. im just worried about will i lose the sound quality i have now it sounds like ive got a sub in the car its a good factory system. Any suggestions on some good units priced between 200-300 pounds. thanx for the advise low610 & doeboy.

I almost bought a Octovia vRS but decided on an older Audi- think i made the right choice.

Home security is not an issue but work is a big one, I work as security at a big midlands Uni, and as you'd expect we know all about crime, there's alot of car thieves about. The only way you can combat it apart from removing the head unit is to leave your glove box open with nothing in. If that doesn't tell your would be thief that you've thought about removing valuables then nothing will! A big **** off sticker on the front windows saying "All valuables removed" would do well also, never seen any though. That is a point might see how much to have 100 made, could sell them for cost on here.

In answer to your music requirements, if i read you right you already have a sub, I'd go for a head unit that will take Mp3's on DVD's I've seen them for around £220, failing that just go for a mp3 cd player for sub £100. Depends on your needs really. I was looking at bottom of the range DVD screens for £400 but i believe that even though the face comes off, it still leaves and inch of the edge of the screen showing, which would be a tell tale sigh and would surely invite a thief in to your car. Broken windows are neither nice to find or cheap to replace.

Ok i've re-read your post. Like you i am a little wary about "loosing" that current Quality of the standard system. The way i look at it is like computers. I built my own. Different components from different manufacturers. There's no way my system will have ever been tested by anyone because it's one of a kind. In contrast you have Apple Macintosh. Computers sold as units with parts built for one machine! Anyhow someone else needs to answer this one for us both!It's late i'm tired and talking crap now and starting an 8 hour night shift!

Hi dips,

I've just bought the DAB Blaupunkt Woodstock head unit.

The sound is very good and has some good security features. It has the usual removable face but also has a memory card that has a code on it. If the head unit is removed and the card is not present when the unit is plugged back in it wont work. My only worry with this is that thieves not being the smartest probably wont be aware of this so will nick it anyway...lol.

I was lucky with this head unit as it connected directly to the exiting wiring in the car. I've never added any extra amps or anything so no worries there.

There is a chap on here called AndyMac, think he's the guru on this sort of thing. He's also got the Blaupunkt Woodstock.

Hope this helps,
Rob.

doeboy let me know if you do get some stickers made id buy a few off u.
www.thevinylstore.com sell some good stickers check it out got a good one there says f**k off the car is alarmed lol!
i will let you know which audio set up i go for see the links above. i should of added this to my last post forgot as im tierd doing an all nighter on my final year project. take it eze guys!

I've just found a kenwood head unit with a 80GB!!!!! hard drive for £250! is that good or what!

Not on their website, Either an old offer or V new.

Hey Dips,

That JVC looks sweet but is quite expensive.

I cannot really comment on the woodstock because i've only had it a few days and haven't installed the DAB antenna yet. Think both unit are really good reading the reviews.

The unit that Doeboy has found sounds too good to be true.....LOL.

Despite that Kenwood being a good offer i'm sitting on my standard system for a bit.