Phatbox info please.

doeboy

Reaction score
Can someone post details/links about phatbox please.

I've done a google uk search which didn't come up with much, are they us imports?

Secondly i'd like to know how you can navigate 4000+ songs using a 1 line display, sound like it would be impossible.

You can get UK versions of the units however importing it from one of the US ebay sellers is usually the cheapest method at around £140 (mikanmotors is recommended).

Simply put, for navigating your tracks, it takes the place of a 6 disk changer, cd1= tracks, cd2=albums, cd3=genre, cd4=artists etc when you change to one of those cds you can use the left and right button to change through the options, the result is read back to you by a voice prompt from the Audi headunit. After 5 seconds it defaults back to cd1 so you can use left and right to change tracks in the playmode you've picked.

Works very well with the limited functionality of std Audi headunits

I believe theres a demo on the phatnoise website

This is the link to the flash demo, should explain it pretty well for you Demo

Also worth considering is looking at Phathack which allows you to fit larger than the std 20GB hard drive to the unit, was one of the first things I did after installing mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You can get UK versions of the units however importing it from one of the US ebay sellers is usually the cheapest method at around £140 (mikanmotors is recommended).

Simply put, for navigating your tracks, it takes the place of a 6 disk changer, cd1= tracks, cd2=albums, cd3=genre, cd4=artists etc when you change to one of those cds you can use the left and right button to change through the options, the result is read back to you by a voice prompt from the Audi headunit. After 5 seconds it defaults back to cd1 so you can use left and right to change tracks in the playmode you've picked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got mine from mikanmotors and the service was excellent.

As for the phatnoise, excellent bit of kit!

i have had mine for about 1 yr love it I have it in My Audi Tt roadster only problem if you want to call it that was I had to modify the little door that the cd changer sit behind no major deal the other is how fast you can fill one up I have a 20gig but I bought a 100 gig drive from e-bay and have changed it so right now I have loads of space love it everyone should get one

Pretty excellant i ve found wasnt to sure when intialliy reading about it but bought one anyway & found it to be spot on especially considering non of these stereos were designed to have this connected it was purely an after thought which works great. Who needs an ipod ? who wants to fath around using an ipod while driving when you can simply go through your stereo.

Simply press the scan button & the system will tell you what your listening to.

Now go buy one ;-)

If you can keep us updated on the phatnoise with the Concert/ symphony III it would be most appreciated.
Edward

I have a VW golf Mk5 with the RCD300, which has a quadlock on the back,
the phatnoise worked fine with this (have heard rumours it is the same stereo as the concertIII, it certainly looks the same), the part numbers from VW i needed were:

£28.09 Cable 1J0051592A
£8.99 Adaptor 1J0051445D

No promises to if they work or not, there is a picture of the RCD300 quadlock here if you can compare if it looks right:
http://www.golf5-sound.de/Quadlock.jpg
the
Toureg quadlock is here:
http://www.tm-techmark.com/touareg/audioonlyinstall.htm

Just done some research, the adaptors look identical to the VW quadlock (just found some concert III pictures on ebay). This should mean that if you get the leads suggested earlier, then you should be able to connect it up(that is on the assumption that VW phatbox's and Audi ones are the same), though clearly its a case of caveat emptor!. Interestingly, it also appears to have Aux plugs, so you can plug in an auxilary input too.
The back of the RCD300
[URL="http://www.tyresmoke.net/attachments/625175-RCD-300-BVX-pinout.jpg"][/URL]

The quadlock and wiring diagram on the Concert III
[URL="http://i16.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/80/d5/628a_1.JPG"][/URL]
[URL="http://i1.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/80/d5/6e92_1.JPG"][/URL]

dickys3 said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I got mine from mikanmotors and the service was excellent.

As for the phatnoise, excellent bit of kit!

got a link to his ebay shop?

If that fails, try VW dealers,and see if that adaptor fits into the quadlock, am sure if you speak to them they may let you trial it without paying.
Would offer for you to try my adaptor thats in my golf but you appear to be in Ireland so a bit difficult!

I have got the phatnoise and had it 3.5 years now
It is very easy to use in the car and very easy software to load the music on with
Takes some time to get the hang of though...but you hen start remembering discs numbers
You can upgrade the hard drive in it to...there is a link somewhere on how to do it

Natedog got one from US really cheap

Hi Marc, any updateonthe cables for your Concert II/ headunit?
cheers
Edward

Hi there, marc, have you sorted this out fully and got it working, or been givent he correct cable no for it?
Cheers
Edward

giblets46 said:
I have a VW golf Mk5 with the RCD300, which has a quadlock on the back,
the phatnoise worked fine with this (have heard rumours it is the same stereo as the concertIII, it certainly looks the same), the part numbers from VW i needed were:

£28.09 Cable 1J0051592A
£8.99 Adaptor 1J0051445D

That one then! :) Many thanks for updating us on that, sure there will be plenty of people who will find it usefull! Is the cable long enough? Where did you end up installing yours?
Cheers
Any pics would be appreciated!

Am guessingit may well be down to price then! Was wondering, does your DIS display any extra track info? Or do you still just get track numbers?
cheers

The CD changer lead that AUDI recomends is a different code to the VW one, so will get whichever is cheapest! as they will both connect the phatnoise to the adaptor!
STILL not heard when i am getting mine, apparently its on the country though!

Thanks, thats fantastic, looks a lot like my Golf install, I may try and do what i did with my golf which is to slide the cables along the top of the glove box instead of removing it. MY big question was of course who to remove the headunit, which you have answered, the boot looks very complicated. YOu think there ouwld be space under the passenger seat?

MANY thanks
Edward

Is it possible to fit phatnoise into a pre-facelift A4? Have only seen it on later models...

Not a clue! its a 97 r-reg if that helps, it has a concert HU thats a little longer than single din...

The concert HU (picture below) on a B5 is compatible with Phatnoise

concertvt5.jpg

Juat installed my Phatnoise today, many thanks to Marcs excellent guide, though needless to say Audi's don't like being taken apart! (lots of cuts!).

Managed to get the cable on top of the glove box with a coat hanger and only undoing the top screws on the glove box, but the side sills were the worst part, with several of the clips pulling out of the plastic and firmly embeded in the bodywork, and a couple of others the plastic gave way. A note that inthe sport back, the sill from front to back is in one long piece.
In the boot, i managed to just pass the cable out of the side instead of though the coat hook area, and saved me having to take all the boot out!
But...relieved i have got it out of the way! :)