Vent or no Vent

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Hey guys, I'm getting the Kicker Solo-Baric L7 12” subwoofer. rated at 1500watts peak, and 750WRms. It's one of those square 12" speakers in a sub box. They only thing is the guys who fitting it told me that fitting a vent in this box will blow the sub. I'm just a lil suspecious as I've seen many sub boxes with vented boxes. Could someone please tell me what's the difference between having a vented and non-vented box?

it'll depend on whether the sub is a free-air sub or not..

Strictly speaking sealed enclosure type subs need the pressure created by the cabinet to prevent the cone from travelling to far, and to "suck" the cone back in.

However, those that know what their doing can add holes to an enclosure, or "port" it, to tune the bass characteristics of the speaker. Porting will usually extend the frequency range of the speaker a little, but the trade-off is that you'll lose the punchiness and won't be able to drive it as hard. The idea being that the less pressure of the enclosure, the longer throw of the speaker. The plus side is that you'll get a smoother, deeper, rolling bass.

It all depends on what music your going to be listening to, and how tight you require your bass to be.

Most subs can be fitted in a sealed or ported enclosure, but the enclosure has to be designed correctly to accomodate a port. i.e. you can't just drill a big hole in a sealed enclosure and expect it to work. The port has to have a calculated distance between the back of the cone and the port, in order to avoid cancellation i.e. the air from the rear of the speaker cancelling the air from the front.
Ported enclosures are generally more efficient i.e. you'll get more out with less power, but are larger and can also be tuned to provide boost at certain frequencies.

oK I understand now. Thanks for the help "Mad & Andy". They do sell porterd boxes for the same sub I'm going for, so I'll see how this one sounds and if I want to change I'll just get Kicker to send me their one with original Vent (which is calculated and stuff as you were saying Andy), cheers again, and hopefully I'll be posting pics next week (A3/8L forum) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif