SD Cards with RNS-E Unit

mikeclark007

Reaction score
Hi All.

I'm thinking of ditching my 20Gb Ipod & I-Trip transmitter in the car.

I want to benefit from my sound system and am considering backing up a lot of my music onto 1gb SD Cards to use with my Sat Nav+ Unit.

Any compatibility issues / problems / recommendations I should be aware of?

Having never actually used an SD card as a storage medium - would it just be drag and drop for mp3 files and could i create my own separate folders for different albums on the card?

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif
Mike.

There's a thread on this elsewhere. I think the only limit is folder numbers, something like it only supports 1-99.

I do use one for some audi tapes & have and it works nicely though

Thanks Anito - I dug deep into the archives to find some older threads.

Some users appear to have had problems with certain brands of SD Card - i'm looking at a Sandisk either 1 possibly 2gb in size.

Any opinion on that or any other brand?

Yeah, don't buy the chepest card you can find, I went for a sandisk from dabs. works just fine.

cheers

I am using a Sandisk 2GB card, I have about 28 albums on the card which is about 400 files. I think there is a limit on the number of files RNS-E can handle, I think its about 500 files.
I just copied (drag & drop) the Albums from the computer to the card, works fine apart from having to wait about 5 to 10 seconds for the MP3's to load.

is that just 5 to 10 seconds for the MP3's to load individually or just when you start the car up?

Are track details visible on the RNS-E display?

Finally will they give me a better appreciation of BOSE as appose to a crappy FM transmitter on my Ipod?

Cheers again

The Loading is just when you start the car.

The file name is displayed on the RNS-E screen, the track name is also displayed on the DIS readout however you only get the first 6 or so characters so it it a bit useless.

You get better sound quality than an FM transmitter but the quality obviously depends on the bit rate of your MP3's, not sure of the maximum bit rate that the RNS-E system will produce but I would assume it to be at least CD quality.

cheers technics100.

Ebay is another possibiliity with 2gb cards being available for less than £40-00.

4gb ones are also becoming more common with Sandisc doing there own - see ebay

Just to clarify

The RNS-E can take upto 4GB cards in each slot (8GB total)

A limit of 512 files/directories per card.

The filenames or TAG's can be set to appear in the DIS, but only the first 8 chars.

Craig

also it only plays cbr (constant bit rate) mp3 files upto 320kbits/sec, not variable bit rate

at 160kbits/sec or higher, 2gbyte cards will hit the limit of 512 files/directories well before the card is full, so the 4mbyte cards are a complete waste -

i now have 2 4mbyte cards that are less than 1/2 full but i cant add any more tracks..