Keep it simple please.

owdgit

Reaction score
01 A6 saloon.
Standard multi cd set up but the speakers could do with a little more.
What is the easiest/cheapest way around this?

Install a sub with it's own amp.
You can just replace the speakers but for limited gain as you really need to also install an amp to drive them. No aftermarket speakers will sound much better being driven off the 2 x 20w internal HU amp (non Bose).
If you have the Bose sytem then the speakers are 2 ohm impedance so again replacing with 4 ohm AM speakers will not sound much better (possibly worse). The biggest bang for your buck is to install a proper sub, giving you a huge improvement in bass but also reducing the bass to the cabin speakers so you can drive them harder with less distortion.

Thanks, I can hear the stereo purists cringing at this next lot but here we go.
Its the concert system.
The main problem is the rear passengers complain they can't hear the sound as clear as in the front.
I would like to be able to do this myself without spending two arms and three legs if possible.
There is a sub in the boot [standard one] are you suggesting just junking the sub and putting a replacement of the same size in the original housing?
What size should I look for to replace the the orginal door speakers, a straight swap size wise is prefered?
Is it feasable to 'just' stick some 6*9 in the rear shelf? If so, is the original speaker cabling enough to handle them? Where is the best place to 'cut' into the original wiring to continue the run?
Ta

No & no.
The standard enclosure is plastic, so only useful for keeping your biscuits in TBH.
The standard sub amp is puny and is also driving the rear speakers so can't be used.
If it's just to placate passengers complaining in the rear, rather than an increase in quality your after, then replacing the original door speakers will help as the standard units are hopeless, but make sure you go for proper 2 way components with good tweeters.
Rear shelf speakers are a complete waste of time. Don't worry about cabling as there isn't enough power anywhere in the system capable of frying anything.
So for a quick fix I'd replace all the door speakers which will improve the clarity.
for a proper job you'd need to add a 5 channel amp for cabin speakers and sub, and lose some boot space with a proper sub/enclosure. This is quite a big job with a lot of cabling but will give you decent sound.
As a go between you could swap the HU, and run all the cabin speakers off the infinately better internal amp (something like 4 x 60w). This would require minimum cabling in order to run the rear speaker cable back up to the HU, but you would then need a couple of fitting adapters to link up to the Audi wiring for the sub, an aerial amp and a fascia adapter.
Sorry there's no quick fix.

Is there a replacement head unit that still allows use of the stearing wheel audio controls?
Or is there a 'plug in box' type of thingy that can be added to a replacement head to allow the use of the stearing wheel audio controls?
Ta.