Phatbox and speaker upgrade

dreddg

Reaction score
Ok

After reading a number of threads about phatnoise I am now thinking of making the switch.....as I am getting tired of my cds skipping when passing over speed tables/ potholes....so a few questions

1. Will the phatnoise skip when hitting bumps/ potholes?
2. I already have cd mounted in the rear I believe it is a straight swap, is this correct?
3. Should I buy in UK or US, as price in UK seems about £199 but US price is cheaper, but with items you need due to voltage difference, is there much difference in price?
4. I am looking for recommendations as to what to look out for speaker upgrades ( One for andymac)...I am not electrically minded so please bear with me

Thanks for looking and I hope you guys (n gals) can help... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Thanks
George /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

1. Never experienced it myself and would imagine it's pretty unlikely

2. Should be, the phatnoise comes with an adapter cable

3. The voltage isn't a proble as the US ones come with switchable AC supply (for the USB cradle)

4. Like you say this one's for andy mac

I have never experienced any form of skipping as for the power supply unit mine came from the USA and it needed replacing (2 pin plug & wrong voltage).

The cheap Phatnoise are all sourced from the USA

A lot of sellers on ebay are based in the USA & pretend to be in the UK (or source the box from there) they just bundle a new PSU with the box but some people have reported the PSU is of poor quality & not up to the job.

Mapin sell one that works for about £15.

Basically the box will have come from the same source just some one has changed the PSU for you if you are lucky it’s a good one if your not you will still have to replace it.

I have upgraded the speakers in my A4 with Focal unfortunately not sure about an A6.

If you have the CD cable installed its plug & play just make sure you get the Audi version of the Phatnoise (round plug) the glovebox CD changer requires a VW Phatnoise (rectangular plug) some people sell this as Audi