Audi A4 Audio Install Advice needed...

I

imported_ZeroK66

**Posted this in another forum but just spotted the ICE forum & so copying post here**

Hello all,

Had my S4 a few weeks now - getting all settled in wtih performance & all the nigglies... now onto Audio.

I got the car without a CD Changer - owning a few iPods I have bought the Dension Ice>Link and will fit this once it arrives.

Problem I have is as follows...

1. The car does not have BOSE and so only has front door speakers & rear parcel shelf speakers.
2. The car does not have rear speakers as previous owner isntalled a stealth shelf that can take 2 x 10" speakers...
3. I canot find the audio cables in the boot that ran the speakers/amp that were in the boot.

Questions are:

1. Where would the audio/power cables be tucked away?
2. Can I get 2/3 way 10" speakers? This way I can get trebble in the rear of the car along with bass from the 10" cone.
3. What do I do about the front speakers? They will not be loud enough to match the 10"'s in the back - assuming they were just SUBS.

Help/Advice welcome.

Cheers,
Leon

hello man, got yer pm but i can't reply to you coz you have used up yer pm quota apparently. so.........

rainbow speakers are excellent, get a decent amp and they will be superb, i have a kenwood amp just now which is just barely managing to drive them but they could be pushed further i think. still have some work to do with sound deadening panels once the weather is better.

but yeah sound quality is excellent , crisp and clear.

the speakers that were fitted originally were nokias and quite frankly the worst/cheapest looking speakers i've evr seen , how they got into an audi i'l never know. so in fairness any speaker upgrade would have made an improvement.

for speakers adaptors do a search for andymac's posts and you will find some details . i have done something similar to him but admittedly not quite as professional. - look here for example -

let me know how you get on with the stealth box, pics would be appreciated. i am planning a sub install this summer but still want to be able to fit the clubs in the boot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

also have a look on talkaudio forums for ideas.

as above look on Talk audio- many on there are advocates of having only comps up front and subs in back so give it a try.

Ive got 2 8" Image dynamics which when I get round to it will be Infinite baffled onto the back shelf, 2 x13" DLS speakers up front amped and well installed should be more than enough even if you fit 2x10`s.

Regarding missing wiring speak to Andymac or indeed to the guy you bought it off

Thanks guys, I am on talkaudio now... just looking for installers in my area. I am just so nervous about leaving my car with someone who has not worked on an A4 before and let them tear apart my door cards & attempt to fit components & run cables.

Dont suppose there is anyone on here that fancies earning some cash one weekend and help out *cough* AndyMac *cough*

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have removed my rear speakers and run a 12inch sub selaed. With a 3 way setup up front. The cards come off really easily,2 mins, the plastic adapters take 5 mins to fit. The hardest is running the cables up and down the car for the amps etc

Mmm...

Well my box externally only measure 6.5" deep - that must limit my options with subs.

I am going to go down the Rainbow SLX component route as suggested/recommended - just wish I could find the ****** cabling - looks like I am going to have to run new cables /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

To help those that may be looking at an install in the future I got the following:

The Key to remove the headunit from the dash: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4772

Adapters to fit 13cm / 5" speakers into the doors: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=481

Rainbow SLX 265 Deluxe Components: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3852

Adapter cable to get 4 x RCA connectors for amp: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=79

I have done nothing with the rear yet - I will probably follow AndyMac's advice and get 2 x 8" subs for this and an amp to suit.

Anyones thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Cheers,

have you got your links right? shows 5" adaptor plates but 6.5" speakers???

Thanks guys... my mistake, got so muddled up in it all. I have requested they change them - not much chance of delivery before the weekend now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Well the order was amended... so all good. Only arrive next week.

Had the door cards off today and found the doors are ready lines with dynamat - NICE! Some digging found the boot is also lined, potential for some good sound... just need to get all the bits together

10 or 8"'s... that is the question. I swing daily!