MP3's. I'm an idiot someone help me!

• Thread starter imported_christhick
  • Start date
I

imported_christhick

I don't trust MP3 music but I guess I've got to move with the times so....

Can someone explain something about these clever little MP3 players. I’ve got 100 decent albums which I would like to transfer to MP3 and listen to in the car. I’d like a Phatnoise but I also like the idea of plugging one into the aux of my hifi at home.

What ones are good and which should be avoided (Sony, Iriver, Ipod etc)?

Do all have interfaces available to plug into a standard Audi pre-2000 HU or aftermarket HU’s?

I know that Ipods can be controlled by some aftermarket HU’s but how about the other makes?

Do it properly & get a Phatnoise.
No one in their right mind tried to wire up a sony discman to their HU 10 years ago, everyone went with a changer, so why try & do it with an mp3 player when you've got the additional problem of navigating your way round 1,000's of tracks?
If you insist on doing it then go with an iPOD as the quality is guaranteed and as the market leader all the interfaces/mounting brackets etc already exist.

Phatnoise looks to be the way forward but I'll then need another mp3 player to plug into my home separates system.

I've gone for the ipod and alpine headunit route, ok on the downside the audi dis display doesn't work and it does mean replacing the audi unit which some feel looks out of place (I don't think it does) but it does mean good compatibility, good sound and cost wise slightly more but you can use an ipod with your hifi.

alpineday.jpg

Just use the cd's you already have at home!, thats what I do anyway.

I have always tended to use copies of my music in the car (tapes in the old days and cd's later on). Nothing rubs it in when some lowlife steals your car stereo more than having to replace 12 original cd's that were in the changer.

The phatnoise is even better again for avoiding this. I can see the point of using an ipod if you already have one and want to listen to music outside the car. But I know that I wouldn't bother to link it up most of the time.

There is actually a phatnoise player that you can link up to your home hifi, only ever seen one though on ebay

I have a passionate hatred for anything apple, why choose a mac when f'all software runs on it?!
rant over, I have a Sony network walkman which is fantastic, I've put all my cd's onto mp3 and run a media center, much easier and I listen to what I want when I want.

"why choose a mac when f'all software runs on it?!" Yes I think you need to run the Mac version of pretty much any decent software - Quark, Illustrator, Photoshop all were designed for the apple platform, and then about 10 years later were available for Windows.
Obviously Windows is far superior, that's why anyone wanting to do anything remotely serious does it on a Mac. Afterall they only invented the GUI interface, then Bill Gates stole it, made it totally unreliable and sold it to all us muppets.

[ QUOTE ]
"why choose a mac when f'all software runs on it?!" Yes I think you need to run the Mac version of pretty much any decent software - Quark, Illustrator, Photoshop all were designed for the apple platform, and then about 10 years later were available for Windows.
Obviously Windows is far superior, that's why anyone wanting to do anything remotely serious does it on a Mac. Afterall they only invented the GUI interface, then Bill Gates stole it, made it totally unreliable and sold it to all us muppets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing apart from the artey stuff runs on a Mac!!!!! I'll not lose any sleep not being able to run the best version of photoshop I'm sure. None of the hardware or tuning software will run on a mac period, not even vag-com I think.

I thought the GUI interface was actually stolen from the Commodore Amiga not the mac.....

I hate Mocrosoft coz of its "american rule the world" power it has over everyone.

And now Fiat and Alfa are ptting Windows (OS not glass ones!) in there cars.

We all moan about Microsoft but I say fair play to them! Most of us would be out of a job if we didn't have it to support!

Considering what devices it has to support, I think its very good.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a passionate hatred for anything apple, why choose a mac when f'all software runs on it?!

[/ QUOTE ]

cough cough

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4883482.stm

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

edited to add

I make a lot of money supporting MS products so I say well done Bill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ha ha before you know it macs will all have intel chips and MS windows on and will be just another pc!

BBC News flash- New Audis can now be specified with BMW badges!!!!

Am I missing the whole Mac vs MS thing!

No Mac version of VAG-COM? I think Apple share prices will take a tumble

i hate to bust up the mac v windows party (mac's are pants btw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ), can you not just copy your favorite 10 albums onto one data CD as MP3s and use that in your car, i`m sure the Alpine unit can play mp3 cd's and how much does blank CD cost.... 3-4p???

how much does an Ipod thats more fragile than a new born baby cost, that will be out of date in 3 weeks anyway!!

I might as well keep the 6 disc CD changer and have a spare mag loaded with another 6 cds in the glove box.

having all your music collected over 15-20 years in one place is great when played on random as may an in-car ipod fan will surely agree.

Already had an iPod so I also went down the alpine route and I'm very pleased with it.

Playing stuff on random is cool, having personalised playlists for different moods is quality. Being able to access any of my 200 cds when I want is also top banana! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
There is also the added bonus of using the iPod as an external hard drive, don't know whether you'd find that useful or not.

If you love music an mp3 player is definately money well spent.