Audi Navigation System Plus RNS-E....Radio problems

martynash

Ask ....I don't Bite....much!
Reaction score
Hi
I have recently bought this car and am very happy with it. When I got the car using the radio on FM there was a full list of available stations that I could select. I understand this is dynamic and does it automatically.
I have changed the Sat Nav disc for one bought on-line which allegedly updates the system to 2014 and to allow speed camera warnings to be displayed.
Since I have updated with the new disk the stations on the radio have disappeared and are now replaced with Greyed out ones and others that look like a foreign language or hieroglyphics, none of which can be selected. I can only now listen to one station at a time which has to be selected manually. The sat nav appears to work ok but I have yet to see a speed camera or be warned of one.
Have I screwed the RNS-E by installing a bogus disc?

Please can someone who knows about these units give me some advice.

I should point out that the unit now does not recognise the old sat nav disc

Thanks
Marty

Hi, Marty

I use a non- original map disk in mine, and it is fine. It doesn't have camera positions on it, though, it's simply an exact copy of an OEM disk. It works fine, with no issues about compatibility. I do believe that if you insert a new disk, the unit updates its software from the newer disk, which is why it then doesn't recognise the old one. It might be worth sending a private message to forum member NHN. He's the absolute guru on all things electronic with Audis.

I met up with a contact from here or another forum, I can't really remember but he was in Bracknell. He attached VCDS and down graded to 2005 firmware and then re loaded my original disk (2005). All works perfectly again thank God.
It would appear that it is not worth taking the risk of using copy discs in the sat navs. I know many of you have had no issues by doing this but to save a tenner it really can't be worth it.

So if you want to update your firmware on your Audi Navigation System Plus RNS-E, I recommend you purchase an original Audi disc for a few dollars more and save yourself the possibility of all the aggro I have had down-grading and re-booting etc.

Incidentally, there are people who charge for this down grade and it will cost you upwards of £80 for this service and an awful lot of hassle to achieve what you already had, so leave well alone or invest in a Genuine Audi disc.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Regards

Marty :blackrs4:

Just in case anyone wants to know for the future, below are a couple of pictures that show the radio read out if the firmware is corrupted.
Hope this helps someone one day
Cheers

Marty :blackrs4:

2014 06 30 0949222014 06 30 094916