Harmon Kardon Drive and Play

ldw

Reaction score
Hi all, my first post.

Just curious if anyone has bought the Harmon Kardon Drive and Play for their Audi? If so what is your experience?

I have an S4 with Navi + so I already have an MP3 capabilities with MMC/SD cards but my old 530S had the Dension kit. I loved the Dension but found it quite dangerous to skip through the Ipod when driving.

I also wondered what the experience of the Phatbox is from the interface? Are tracknames listed when scrolling?

Cheers
ldw

Ming Blue B6 S4 Avant * AMD Stage 3 conversion including high flow sports cats, remap and cat back

[ QUOTE ]

I also wondered what the experience of the Phatbox is from the interface? Are tracknames listed when scrolling?

[/ QUOTE ]

No the current Audi headunits do not support cd text.
The Phatnoise will supply the track names when used with a different headunit e.g. Kewood etc. just not as yet with Auid OME.

The Phatnoise searches Artist, Genre & Play list via voice prompts and is a breeze to use whilst driving.

“current track ” voice prompts can be enabled by a little workaround then Phatnosie will tell you the current track via voice prompt when you press the scan button.

So you on the whole is everyone happy with their Phatbox?

[ QUOTE ]
So you on the whole is everyone happy with their Phatbox?

[/ QUOTE ]

From my experience yes.

Using the Audi headunit nothing I have seen integrates as well as the phatbox.

If it broke I would buy another.

If you run out of storage space you can upgraded the hard drive using phathack to 120 gig just for the price of a laptop hard drive.

When I upgraded my headunit I chose a Kenwood so I could keep the Phatbox.

Another deciding factor is the price at £130 Link its cheap.

The only downside is its not portable.

As far as the Harmon Kardon Drive and Play I am not totally sold on it.
Looks neat enough but you might as well have the Ipod in a cradle on your dash.

If I left that display hard wired on the dash it would be mistaken for a sat nav & stolen first drive out.

The only thing of any value IMHO is the control Knob and you would still have to buy/fabricate something to connect it to the headunit.
Quote from Harmon Kardon
you need a “third party CD changer option” or connect to an aux input on the headunit.

I use a Harman Kardon unit and I fitted the display unit in the front under the climate control (I don't have the cd here and have the non-smoking pack so no ashtray either)

Will try and post some pics here if you think it'll help? Had it fitted by Halfords and to be honest they were a bit dim, but the end result was fine and neat. The display is large and the track names displayed almost identically to the ipod itself (and the font can be increased in size too)

The control knob I had fitted to the front left side of the dash, (ahead of the indicator/cruise stalks). May sound strange but it's easy to find there without looking for it yet also out of the way (it glows blue which is the only downside as the car's dash is predominantly red). Scrolling is easy, but I usually only change playlists, rather than songs (with the odd "skip/next" thrown in too)

The control box is slotted in behind the stereo (but watch the charlies don't pull out the hazzard warning cable!) so completely out if the way.

I find it's superb overall and easy to use for any head unit (there's a direct plug-in for your FM ariel if like me, you dont have the cd changer)

No drilling, no brackets just a tiny sliver of black wire which is hidden in the console anyway - easily removed

cheers

Andy

Here's the (grainy) pic as promised - sorry my phone is bad in low light conditions. The screen display is actually quite clear and bright (dimming)

DSC00361.jpg

Aw another follower on the path to true ipod intergration.

Well folks I think I've found the answer in the shape of a full speed alpine headunit.

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=145180

On the plus side it does exactly what the ipod does using the silver shuttle wheel, on the down side its a pretty basic unit. But it sound good (well to me anyway), changes to red to match the audi interior and didn't cost a bomb!

cityslicker said:
I find it's superb overall and easy to use for any head unit (there's a direct plug-in for your FM ariel if like me, you dont have the cd changer)

This looks like a great ipod integration option, I like it! Can I ask though I don't fully understand how it connects up to the head unit? I have oem sat nav and a cd changer... I've read it connects via either fm radio reception (which would be poo sound quality surely?!) or a 3.5mm input jack... However I can't imagine there being any 3.5mm input jacks or any inputs behind the oem audi head unit, or audi sat nav system so how is yours plummed in?

Don't quite understand when you say it's 'direct plug-in for your FM aerial' so whats happened to your fm radio reception if your aerial is plugged in into it?

Cheers
Fran

I thought it worked on an FM frequency, so to find the HK unit you would just scan through the radio stations. I think you might have trouble finding one now, the orginal post is nearly 2 years old !

SteveTDCi said:
I thought it worked on an FM frequency, so to find the HK unit you would just scan through the radio stations. I think you might have trouble finding one now, the orginal post is nearly 2 years old !

Just got this reply which was superb:

For your car this adaptor is needed to connect your ipod:

http://satnavsystems.com/shopexd.asp?id=140

it gives you audio left and right connection
you can buy a cable adaptor in maplin from audi left/right to jack and this way you will be able to connect it.

So sorted!

Yes there on number 2 now which looks a lot better, shows artwork can theme it so it shows red to match etc:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Harman_Kardon_Drive_Play_2/4660-3425_7-6751213.html