Phatbox question.... 2

ebbs73

Reaction score
hi ,
I`m new to all this so forgive me .
as i`ve just read i`d like a 6 cd/mp3 player , what, where and haw much for a Phatbox ?

is it just an add on ?

cheers
chris

a phatbox is a permanently fixed hardware, removable hard-disk based MP3 solution, that replaces a CD-changer.

cost approx £140-400 depending on source. Fitting extra, but is a simple job for yourself.

would this if with all the head units ?
i have a single cd player head unit (audi) 02 plate
thanks

Phatnoise works with all audi head units that support a cd changer. You just need the correct lead.

I just installed a Solisto which is quite similar to the Phatbox, ony it uses USB memory sticks instead of a hard disk as storage. Also it is very easy to install. Have a look at how I did it: http://members.chello.nl/p.boelen/solisto/

Obviously the Phatbox can hold a lot more songs, but their cartridges are a proprietary format whereas with the solisto you can just have several MP3 sticks. At the moment I have a 2GB stick that has 300 songs on it. 4GB and 8GB sticks are already available and will become mainstream and therefore a lot cheaper in the next year. Another thing that I personally like about this solution is that it is completely solid state. No moving parts. That is a big plus in my book. I don't like the idea of a harddisk (or a cd for that matter) in a car with the Audi sport suspension

The choice wasn't easy (The Phatbox and the Sony MADS003 CD/mp3 changer were also on my short list), but I am vey happy with the Solisto.

thanks for the info , i need to sort something out depressing me having to change cd`s !

strange how lazy we are all becoming ?

chris

synthdood , i just checked out your mod ,
nice one , worth considering .

but what would be best , phatbos or solisto ??

cheers
chris

it really depends on your requirements.

unfortunately, the phatbox, solisto or dension ice>link are not perfect - mostly due to the shabby audi HU's not supporting CD-TEXT, so theres no ID3 support on the HU.

Each manufacturer has their own solution:

solisto - no ID3 notification
phatbox - voice announcement
dension ice>link - ipod display used.

so it's a case of picking one your happy living with.

[ QUOTE ]
but what would be best , phatbos or solisto ??
chris

[/ QUOTE ]

What would be best.... That is not an easy question to answer. It all comes down to what fits your needs, avaliability, and price.

In my case the Phatbox was going to be quite an expensive option because it is a US product. Here in the Netherlands importing stuff from outside the EU is an expensive hobby. The taxman wants a share and so does the postoffice and in many cases even UPS wants extra (shipping costs from the US are often only paid upto the border, don't ask me why?). When I first bought my car I inquired about the option of having the Phatbox supplied and fitted by Audi. At first they didn't know what I was on about and once they got the message from their head office that it's actually an existsing option, they told me it was going to cost around 1200 Euros! Go figure...
I could have tried to get one off ebay, but I really wanted something new (with guarantee and support) and from a supplier in a EU country.

The Solisto cost me 230 Eur and that is including the correct cable for your choice a car, shipping (UPS from Germany to Holland) and an extra USB extension cable. The 2GB stick cost me another 79 Euros.
<ul type="square">
[*]If you want an enormous library of music, get the Phatbox.
[*]If a collection of 600 songs (the maximum the radio can address) is enough, get the Solisto.
[*] If wou want it all (more storage, ID3 tags, big screen, better quality,etc,) drop the chorus/concert and get an aftermarket radio that can do it all.
[/list]

I have a phatbox that through a great forum for the phatbox, phat hack, have managed to get the phatbox to accept any hdd. I currently have an 80Gb drive with 500 odd albums ripped at high quality.

The guys on the forum are currently working on getting the phatbox to accept Hdd over 127Gb (the current limit) which seems to be going well.

My A3 is currently broken (boo hoo) and have a loaner A4 with no phatnoise and really miss it.

The point is that there is a way aroung the propritary format if you are prepared to give it a go

230 euros sounds kinda cool.
but maybe the phatbox would be better ,
so where would one get a good price and good back up ?

thanks for the help ,

chris

I Bought mine from
http://www.clairparts.com/

$165 + $100 Shipping this came to about £ 150 in total including shipping on my credit card
then add about £30 Vat & Brokerage fees
+ £10 for a UK power adapter from maplin

MattS3 bought his from ebay for £ 130
Link

Guaranteed backup 12 months from now using Clair Parts cheaper price from ebay & maybe more risk.

At the time I bought mine the difference in price was not worth it, but £130 is cheap drop him a pm.

£130 sounds a good deal to me. For that kind of money I may have opted for the Phatbox as well. Why is it that we pay so much more for this sort of stuff in the Netherlands than you guys do in the UK?

[ QUOTE ]
£130 sounds a good deal to me. For that kind of money I may have opted for the Phatbox as well. Why is it that we pay so much more for this sort of stuff in the Netherlands than you guys do in the UK?

[/ QUOTE ]

just thank yourself you're not in Singapore. I was quoted £1000 sterling for a phatbox there, not even fitted.