MMI is driving me mad

• Thread starter Deleted member 11654
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 11654

What started as a hopefully simple quest is turning into a nightmare. Here's the pitch . . .
I have an Audi S4 (b8 platform) with MMI 2g high. This has a 6 CD player and aux socket but no SD card slots. It is coupled with B&O stereo, DAB radio and DVD sat nav. However, there is no AMI.
What I want to do is simply (laugh !) connect my music library (90gb, 11,000 MP3 files) to the MMI system, presumably on a hard drive or high capacity USB stick.
But wow - have Audi might it all but impossible, not helped by differing or lack of information. Their customer services just don't know enough.
I had hoped to either retrofit the AMI unit (which would also need a new glovebox !) or similar device (VNS media) that I could connect a low power USB device to. Hah !
There is total confusion about the ability to connect such devices, even though Audi themselves sold a 250gb hard drive !
The 2g and 3 g systems seem to have different limitations (and why there should be any I don't know, they just seem completely arbitrary and imposed by Audi). For example there may be limits on the total number of files and directories you can use, and there may also be a total capacity limit (making the marketing of a 250gb hard drive nonsensical).
Can anyone shed any light or suggest what I can do. Simply asking Audi to retrofit the whole caboodle seems crazy - hundreds of pounds just to get a USB socket of dubious use . . . .

AMI. Simple to fit. Loads of connections available. Readily got.

AMI. Simple to fit. Loads of connections available. Readily got.

Think you've missed the gist of the issue.
I know I can spend several hundred pounds and fit AMI but I really don't know if the MMI / AMI system will cater for a 90gb library with 11000 tracks ( and no, I don't want an IPod). If I was certain AMI would cope I might be persuaded, even though the end result of paying £500+ (AMI, glovebox, cables and fitting) seems ludicrous for adding a USB socket !
No-one seems to be able to provide a definitive answer.