Naff Radio

mr_sjc

Reaction score
Hi All

I have an A3 1.8T 96' S plate and find the stereo has pretty naff reception. Just purchased a new 'stubby' ariel and this is as bad as the original one. The stations seem to drift out pretty quickly and I find im listening to a load of static. Any suggestions?

Regards Simon

Is it a 96 (N or P plate) or a 98/99 (S plate). The early A3's have the antenna amp in the base of the beesting aerial. These were prone to going wrong and a real pain to replace so Audi changed the design to incorporate the antenna amp in the HU on later models (much easier to replace if they went wrong). You could try using the aftermarket antenna amp which simply plugs into the back of the HU, but worthwhile trying a coathanger in the aerial socket first to check that it is the aerial that's at fault. You'll need to get hold of the HU removal keys (off ebay or Halfords) and be very gentle when using them as it is easy to break the spring clips that secure the HU and then it's a b@stard to get out.

Hi AndyMac

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Sorry for the worng info, its a 99' S plate. How much would the part cost roughly - or is it better to replace the HU and go with an Ipod?

Cheers Simon

Always better to replace the HU, but you may still have the antenna problem if it is the amp. The aftermarket amp is only about £12
Personally I've found FM reception seems to be getting progressively worse regardless of HU, I think they're fading down the power in order to push people to DAB, which is what I went for in the end.

Thanks Mate, I suppose I can get an amp from Halfords and the like.

Could you suggest a decent budget DAB HU that I can connect my Ipod to?

Cheers Simon