MP3 USB box for Audi/VW

synthdood

Reaction score
I just came across this: [url]www.solisto.de [/url]

It is a mp3 box that connects to the CD changer connection of the radio and it takes standard USB storage devices (memory sticks, disk drives). Looks very promising. A lot cheaper than the Phatbox, easier to install and USB memory sticks are a lot cheaper than the phatbox cartridges. Also it is completely solid state, no moving parts at all! It does have the lmitation of the maximum number of tracks that the radio can adress (6CDs x 99tracks=594 tracks), but that is more than enough for me.

It is affordable, stealth, portable, easy to connect, has cheap storage and no hassle with cradles and such... I think I'll order one for my sportback /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Does anybody know if the A3 8P has a CD changer cable behind the glovebox already? If so, what kind of plug does it have? I need to find out what kind of cable I should order as they supply several cables. If there is no changer cable in the A3 yet, they can supply the cable that connects directly to the radio. How much space is there inside the dash (behind the radio or behind the glovebox)? The box is relatively small, 55x104x24mm. It would be great if I could tuck it away somewehere inside the dash and have just a USB cable in the glovebox.

It's a nice idea, but as the CD changer doesnt carry ID TXT, its a bit dumb for users, at least the phatbox gives you voice navigation.

And at 200 euros + the storage device it is about the same as a phatbox.

I think if space is an issue, then yes it's an option over the phatbox. You could hide this unit discreetly and use a USB extender to install the USB storage device anywhere you want.

I'm not knocking it, but I still think the phatbox is better.

As for your car, well I dont think any newish cars come with CD changer cables as standard.

Craig

[ QUOTE ]
It's a nice idea, but as the CD changer doesnt carry ID TXT, its a bit dumb for users, at least the phatbox gives you voice navigation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, the absense of any text info is big miss, but that is something that all devices that use the changer port have to live with. Unfortunately personally I am not convinced by the voice navigation of the phatbox. Actually I find "talking" equipment more annoying than useful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And at 200 euros + the storage device it is about the same as a phatbox.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where I live a new phatbox sets you back around 1000 euros and a used one around 500. Anything cheaper will have to come from abroad and then customs will hit you. Last time I bought something off ebay from the US the cost was doubled by postage and tax!
Storage devices is something that I already have and prices of usb stick are dropping by the day. Compared to the cost of a phatbox cartidge a usb stick costs almost nothing. I bet in a year you can get 2GB sticks for around 50 euros. You also don't need a special docking station and special software to load it. A usb stick can be plugged in every pc/mac.

[ QUOTE ]
I think if space is an issue, then yes it's an option over the phatbox. You could hide this unit discreetly and use a USB extender to install the USB storage device anywhere you want.

[/ QUOTE ]
Although space is not really a huge issue it is a bit of a problem with the phatbox, since that doesn't fit in a standard glovebox. You either need to take it out of its housing or completely cut up the glovebox to make it fit. In the old A3, at least there was space and a cable ready in the left cubby hole in the boot. No such luck in an 8P.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not knocking it, but I still think the phatbox is better.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't worry about knocking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You opinion is much appreciated. I have seriously considered the phatbox for a year, it's just that the cost of it in the Netherlands combined with the drawbacks (that all these aftermarket aux addons have) have put me off it.

[ QUOTE ]
As for your car, well I dont think any newish cars come with CD changer cables as standard.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought as much. That's cost saving for you. If they can save 5 cents on a 40 thousand euro car they will. A bit off-topic: In the news today I heard that the production cost of a VW (in Wolfsburg) is actually higher that that of an Audi. Makes me wonder why we have to pay soooo much for our Audi.

If I'd been aware of this before I bought by Phatbox .... I'd have still got the Phat! Nice idea but no cigar.

I ordered the Solisto. I know the phatbox and ipod can hold far more music, but the solisto fits my purposes perfectly and should be very easy to install.

Anyway, I went to two dealers today to get the removal keys for the Concert 2 only to find out that they don't sell them. I am amazed at the appalling service.

What is the best place to get the keys?

You can also get them from Halfords. When I went to get them the guy even offered to remove the stereo for me!