Denison ice link

Buster

Reaction score
I'm think of fitting the denison ice link or the phatbox but have a quiry about the denison.

Will the ipod automatically switch itself off when I switch off the ignition of do you have to do it manually?

What would give the better sound quality? or would they be the same?

the ipod will turn itself off providing you have set the power save feature on the ipod.

as for sound quality, i'm sure you couldnt seperate the two. It all depends on your encoding rate and codec choice really.

So it doesn't turn off immediatly after turning off the ignition?

Does it turn on automatically when you turn the car on or do you need to do that manually?

I'm more towards the phatbox now I think

well, it acts just as an ipod would when you dock/undock it. When you dock (turn on car stereo) it power on and continues playing, when you undock (turn off the stereo) it pauses and then powers off if you haven't touched a button for however long you have set the powersave duration to.

however, if your ipod battery was knackered, then i guess it would turn off immediately /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a dension ice-link in my car and it powers up with the ignition on or when you turn the radio on and power down when the ignition is of or when you turn the stereo off. This happens independently to the ipod power save mode and I know this as my power save mode is set to 5mins and the ipod shuts down only after a few seconds when in the dension ice-link.
Hope this helps if your choice.
Cheers,
Deano.

When you are on say track 20 and you turn the car off does it carry on from track 20 or does it go back to track 1 when you turn the car back on?

yes, providing your ipod hasn't crashed overnight, which they mostly do.

How do you meen they crash over night.

Sorry about all the questions but I don't have an ipod and don't really know to much about them

aah kk. if your in the market for one, take a look at the forums over in www.ilounge.com (used to be ipodlounge.com).

this will give you a good idea of the issues and features that you will be inheriting into your ICE setup. There are also topocs covering the ice>link in great detail.

I have only suffered a few times with a crashed ipod, but sometimes when it crashes, it stays powered on and drains the battery. You don't ever lose any music though, as it is stored on a hard drive that isn't affected.

The really annoying thing at the moment is that theres no single mp3 solution that is perfect yet (to me anyway) without buying a 100% aftermarket setup. However, the ones that are out, are perfectly useable, and smack the tits off a cd changer.

mad - quick question: using your icelink cradle - does your ipod suffer from any scratches on the back?

cheers

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nope, i use my ipod mini in the car, cause it's loads smaller and uses a smaller cradle. no scratches so far.

Buster,

I have just taken the ice link out of my '05 A3, do you want to make me an offer?
It is the connector version so will fit all ipods I believe rather then being restricted to a single version due to having a specific cradle type.

Simon