Fitting a MP3 changer

Buster

Reaction score
I want to fit a MP3 CD changer in the boot of my 2001 S3 with a Concert HU but it doesn't seem to be pre-wired to the boot.

What cable will I need to connect into the back of the stereo to run to the boot?

Are you sure? The cable is fairly well tucked away, right at the back of the rear passenger cubbyhole towards the front of the car quite a way past the rear seatbelt reel.
CDchangercablelocation.jpg

Andy, not all S3's seem to be pre-wired with it, it wasn't there on my '03 when I fitted your sub box.

Yes I know but just wanted to make sure he hadn't assumed it would be dangling over the sub box, where any sane person would have put it, rather than tucked so far back you can only get one hand on it.
This makes it dificult to plug into as the clip that holds it to the bodywork isn't firm enough to push against.
Classic Audi

I'll have another look, if its not there then will I need to buy a CD changer cable from Audi?

depends. You may well be better off buying a VW one with a block connector - when looking around, i got the impression that more stuff fitted this connection, and was usually cheaper.

of course, whatever MP3 changer you wish to install, you may still need a convertor.

Another way of checking is by looking at the 20 pin connector on the HU. If it is populated with pins on the CD part then the cable should be there.

Pins 13 to 20 should be populated along with pin 10 for GND.

Of course you need to be able to remove the HU to check.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course you need to be able to remove the HU to check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is another Challenge! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Checked again tonight and there is definetly nothing there.

Andymac - Where you have the white plastic clip I only have the hole where it would locate.

So can i buy the changer cable from Audi or can I get one of the web somewhere? If so where???

audi - yes, but pricey.
web - ebay usually goes for about1 5-25 wuid.

what kind of mp3 changer are you looking at , i really recommend the Phantnoise Phatbox 20GB bought one from ebay (us) for about £159 all in 3-4 months ago prob cheaper now

[ QUOTE ]
what kind of mp3 changer are you looking at , i really recommend the Phantnoise Phatbox 20GB bought one from ebay (us) for about £159 all in 3-4 months ago prob cheaper now

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought about the phatbox but would also like to play cd's as well, how would the phatbox work? I believe Audi HU's only recognise 99 tracks

You create disks of tracks, so you can have 99 tracks on a disk, lots of disks.....

I bascally drop directories (albums) onto the phatbox and treat each one as a disk..

My Audi head unit only shows 99 playlists once you get to 100 the display shows 01 & goes on but with the voice indexing its not really a limitation.

From Phatnoise.com

A "disc" on the PhatBox represents a particular playlist as organized in the software component of the system. The PhatBox can have the headunit recognize up to 10,000(!) discs. Each disc can contain up to 10,000 tracks (songs), identified by "rolling over" the two-digit display on the headunit. You can also access these tracks and discs via the remote control that comes with most high-end headunits. And no, those aren't typos. =)

The phatbox Is one of the best things I have bought

I upgraded the hard drive using phathac now my entire CD collection is in my car so I just leave it on random play & do not listen to the radio any more.