Audi Concert to Alpine 9853R?

jbw

Reaction score
Website
www.anotheragenda.com
I'm so close to finishing my install and I've hit a snag with fitting an Alpine 9853 in my '99 A3.
I'm unsure about the power iso and the aerial connections.
This is what I've got on the audi wiring:
poweriso.jpg

And this is the explanation from the top of the concert:
powerisoexplain.jpg

This is the alpine power iso layout:
alpineiso.gif

Am I safe to just plug the power iso in? Perhaps I need to swap the battery and ignition leads around? Also what do I do with the blue power antenna lead?

Can someone tell me, in the following pic, what the wire with the brown connector is for as I don't seem to have anything on the alpine stereo for this to connect to.
aerial.jpg

Any help is most appreciated.
Many thanks,
jbw

You'll need to swap over the perm live & ignition live as Audi wire them the wrong way round.
Hopefully you've got the antenna amp so the power antenna lead needs to connect to the antenna amp to power it.
The brown lead on the aerial just connects to the HU chassis.
You can just plug the power ISO in and it'll all work but you'll lose all your pre-sets when you turn off the ignition.

Hey guys,
Thanks for the support with this. Can I just confirm that the following will make the correct connections?
Before the Alpine power block there are connectors on both the ignition and perm live wires. With these connectors I can swap the ignition and perm live around by plugging Red (ignition) to Yellow (battery) and vice versa. Will doing this give me both perm live and ignition live with the audi wiring I've got, allowing the unit to store all pre-sets?

So the blue (power ant) lead on the alpine iso block will give power to my antenna amp? If this is the case can I happily cut this blue wire and crimp it to the blue wire from my antenna amp?

ta,
jbw

Yes & yes, as long as you've actually got an ignition on feed from the Audi loom, which it looks like you have as there is a pin present in the right slot (S-Kont).

i think you can get an adapter for this. I had an alpine in my old B5 1.8T and recently retrofitted concert to it removing the adapters (XVW owns it now)...

It's all installed now. Just incase anyone else runs into the same problem (though I doubt it). I swapped the perm live and ignition live around on the alpine wiring, plugged it in and the power functions the same as the standard unit (turn key to position 1/start car and stereo will have power, remove key and stereo switches off on it's own). It also stores all presets and settings.
I cut and crimped the aerial power lead and I'm getting clear radio stations too.

Oh and if anyone is considering getting an AndyMac stealth sub for their a3... do it. The sound quality is leaps and bounds above the rubbish audi provide.

Now I just need to find the time to fit my new front speakers... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ta,
jbw