12" sub or 6x9's

WOLF

Reaction score
Thinking of getting one or the other for my work van to give it more sound but what is better 12" sub or a pair of 6x9's,
at the minute i just have 2 door speakers and the sound is crap.....

opinions appreciated :salute:

Last edited:
Adding more speakers wont
magically make it sound better ,best thinhg to do is improve the speakers you allready have

Adding more speakers wont
magically make it sound better ,best thinhg to do is improve the speakers you allready have

Thats what he is asking!

6x9's will being more rounder fuller shape. My advise would be some with about 100w rms and get a cheap amp to run them. As its a work van i guess these will be going behind the seats in the board?

Or just amp some comps in the door. Wont coat you more then £50 for s/h stuff if you have more to spend then any decent door speakers will be good. If you dont want to amp dont blow your cash on fancy speakers with high output figures. Your be wasting cash as a hu puts out about 8-10w per speaker or about 25w if its aftermarket unit you have installed

what is fuller rounder shape when its at home ???

good car audio is about installation not about equipment
a cheap set of components installed well and correctly will sound ten times better than any 6 x 9 speakers
adding 6 x 9 speakers behind you or a subwoofer is a waste of time as the original speakers still sound terrible
replace the original speakers in the original location with a cheap set of components off ebay
but install them correctly with sound deadening material in the doors and nice solid baffles
the speakers will sound better at louder volumes if amped up correctly , but installing an amplifier correctly without burning the car down can cost a few quid
if you do decide you wish to go to the expense and trouble of fitting an amplifier try and fit a 4 channel amplifier
as you then have options such as being able to add a subwoofer later

first things first get your front speakers correct and dont add to them until they are

i ment having a fuller richer sound, ie : better highs mids and bass, and that the original speakers dont have to be even working,

its a works van no a show car. if it was me i would just put 6x9s up the back and fade to the back. or even replace the front and power off the hu
i wouldn't even bother amping unless i could really be bothered

and it wont cost alot to fit an amp. a non clad wiring kit is around £30

and the amp, i recently bought a kenwood kac-7201 amp which is 150w x2 for £38 from ebay

which power a set of black air comps very nicle so it dosnt have to be expensive.

also they speakers may sound crap if he has a standard headunit,

Last edited:
Yeh only a work van so no show van,think i'll go with 6x9's in the rear.The oem front are crap and will certainly benefit from 2 more speakers in the back and having no bulk head im sure i'll hear them:yes:

Cheers guys!

nobody said anything about a show car its a better audio car
how many concerts or gigs have you been to where the band where playing behind you ??? none because funnillly enough they tend to sound better when there in front of you !!!

the reason the majority of speakers are round is so when the sound resonates from the centre it reaches the outside of the chassis at the same time and dissipates at the same rate evenly
6 x 9 speakers because they are odd shaped dont do this and the sound reaches the chassis at differant time periods and so creates inherrant harmonic(frequency) and phased(time based) distortions .... still think 6 x 9 speakers have a fuller richer sound ???

I have always been in the camp that say no to 6x9's unless you can't get a sub in the car and they are your only option.

IMO it's all about having decent components in the front and having a sub wherever convenient. You don't need a big sub as it's just there to provide depth to the music through bass. I have a 10'' Genesis sub in a sealed enclosure and Genesis comps in the front and rear of my Focus. I wouldn't usually put them in the rear but my passengers were always moaning and I had them spare from my previous car install so made use of them.

This doesn't have to cost much but I would also always have an amp to power my aftermarket comps and sub rather than rely on the measly HU watts. It's more time to wire it all but in a van I guess this would be far easier as you aren't trying to find ways to route cables in your trim to hide them.

I am going to keep my Bose system for a while and see if I can put up with it as I don't want to be taking my A3 apart and potentially reducing it's value even if the sound system is much better.