Need help fitting a CD changer cable

Kevint

Reaction score
Website
www.lickmyear.org
Right then, wired in and all works OK (facelift model A3 does not come with cable already installed).

But my problem is routing the cable from the back of the dash into the door sill. Cable hidden behind the dash, I know how to remove the sill cover, but in the passenger footwell to the side there is a small plastic plate/cover held in by one screw that I have to remove to route the cable from behind the dash and into the door sill before I can remove the sill cover.

I've removed the screw but the cover still appears to be held in some how at the bottom, I can move it around slightly but before I break it can anyone tell me the proper way to remove it?

Any help much appreciated,

Kev.

Just lever it up and poke the cable underneath it. I think it's held in by the sill cover and door rubber.

OK, thanks for that, but I assumed that this trim panel had to be removed before the sill could be unclippped?

I'll see what I can do this weekend.

Thanks

Kev.

Thanks mate... that is VERY informative. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

With that info, I'll get the cable fitted pretty soon. Thing is its a lease car and they want it back in 2 months (new one on order /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif) so no speaker upgrade planned, prob is I fitted the cable myself and need to either A) fit it properly before the car goes back or B) remove it.

I could always remove it by cutting it, not very nice if the next owner wants to use a CD changer, because the pins fit in the same block as the tweeters I think, its not just as simple as unpluging the cable from the concert head unit.

DO you know of a way to remove the pins from the block? is there a tool avaliable?

Thanks mate, advice much welcome.

Kev.

oh, and before you ask yourself why I've fitted a changer 2 months before the car goes back...

I fitted the changer ages ago and since I do alot of driving by myself have just left it in tha passenger footwell.

Thought I'd clear that up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kev.

I wouldn't do that, bit unfair if the next owner wants to use changer. I'd just poke the cable under the front panel, feed it along under the sill panel, and poke it under the rear panel, leaving it dangling underneath the rear seat belt spool, this should only take a few minutes, then at least it is there for someone else to use, which I imagine they'd want to.
Out of curiosity, if the cable wasn't there originally, and you fitted it, how did you connect it into the mini ISO block behind the head unit? I thought it was a separate connector. In which case it should be easy to remove. Also did you experience any interference from the engine when using the CD changer, on quiet bits when turned up loud? I've had to replace the line in cables on my mates A3 Quattro, as we just couldn't get rid of a slight engine whine on CD only. I put it down to either poor quality screening on the factory fit bus cable, or the fact that the audio cables are exposed at each end, i.e. not screened all the way into the changer or HU. A right pain, nice one Audi. It would have been cheaper & easier if they hadn't installed the bus cable at all.