Chris NottEM Tuning
    3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add GeoffDunk on Facebook

Question Quality speaker refit for B6 S4

I have a 2003 B6 S4 and I'd like to upgrade the speakers with direct replacements from a quality manufaturer. I don't spending some money but I do not want to hack or modify my door cards and other areas of the interior.

Any ideas? I know ALpine used to do an OEM replacment range but it seems the yhave stopped that now.

Mine is a saloon with Bose but that shouldn't make a difference.

The next step would be retro fittign a sub box and havign the Bose amp drive that to keep it as close to OEM as possible. I'd mak the sub box removable for when the boot is filled with luggage.

Any ideas anyone?

Any help/advice woudl be greatly appreciated.

Audi S4 quattro in Dolphin Grey Metallic, Silver leather, carbon inlays, RNS-E, 6 speed manual, electrically adjustable & heated seats, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, storage pack, 18" OEM RS4 wheels, RS4 ARB, LED lighting upgrade, FASH plus every bill since new.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    for oem replacements look into focal , hertz , rainbow and jl audio
    b6 s4 is a 6.5" component set with the mid/woofer in the lower part of the door and the tweeter in the upper part

any increase in performance will be directly down to how well the speakers are installed NOT WHAT KIT YOU FIT
    you can put the most expensive component kit in the world in there , but fit it badly and it will still sound ****
    or you can put the cheapest set of speakers you can buy in there but be meticulous in installling them and they will still sound good
    the bose amplifier is not powerfull enough to drive a proper subwoofer system
    2003 pearlescent black s4 avant tiptronic - milltek exhaust - pre cats removed - remapped ...
    koni adjustable suspension front and rear
    alpine f1 dvi9990 -pxah990 headunit and processor - alpine d511r
    4 x focal 5ws midbass drivers - focal audiom 6w midrange - focal tce tweeters - velodyne df 12 sc servo controlled subwoofer
    3 x phoenix gold zpa 0.5 amplifiers

2nd Gear

Status
    When you say "how well somebody fits them" what exactly are you on about?

Sound deadening?
    Cabling?
    Power supply?
    Genuine Ross-Tech VCDS Owner - Lincolnshire & Humber Area

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add GeoffDunk on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by dualmono21 View Post
    for oem replacements look into focal , hertz , rainbow and jl audio
    b6 s4 is a 6.5" component set with the mid/woofer in the lower part of the door and the tweeter in the upper part

any increase in performance will be directly down to how well the speakers are installed NOT WHAT KIT YOU FIT
    you can put the most expensive component kit in the world in there , but fit it badly and it will still sound ****
    or you can put the cheapest set of speakers you can buy in there but be meticulous in installling them and they will still sound good
    the bose amplifier is not powerfull enough to drive a proper subwoofer system
    Thanks for the details, and I totally agree, need to be fitted well.

Ref the Sub, is there anyway to take the audio feed before the Bose amp and send to an aftermarket unit mounted in the boot with a sub enclosure?

Audi S4 quattro in Dolphin Grey Metallic, Silver leather, carbon inlays, RNS-E, 6 speed manual, electrically adjustable & heated seats, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, storage pack, 18" OEM RS4 wheels, RS4 ARB, LED lighting upgrade, FASH plus every bill since new.

5th Gear

Status
    what i mean is the lengths you are prepared to go to to get better sound

there is allready a tiny bit of sound deadeneing inside the doors of the a4/s4 ,
    if however you want to do it to get the best from the speakers you buy
    you would sound deaden the outer door skin then over the top of this with something like dynaliner and behind the back of the speaker itself you would put some diffuser pads
    you could if you wanted also sound deaden the inner panel and try and stop sound waves from coming back out of the door by sealing as much as possible up

next look at the baffle which holds the speaker ... the standard one is made from abs plastic and vibrates
    you could use a router and manufacture an identical baffle from marine ply (you can use mdf but its porous and will soak up water if not treated ) you could go to the effort of changing the speaker cable but most people are happy with the standard wire

as said its not the equipment or how expesnive your speaker cable is that makes the differance its what your prepared to do to get the speakers in the best enviroment installed as best as you can

yes geoff its possible to add an aftermarket amplifier to power the sub properly but ideally you need to put proper power cable in which will support the current draw of whatever amplifier you wish to use
    2003 pearlescent black s4 avant tiptronic - milltek exhaust - pre cats removed - remapped ...
    4 x focal 5ws midbass drivers - focal audiom 6w midrange - focal tce tweeters - velodyne df 12 sc servo controlled subwoofer

Neutral

Status
    If its the Bose system then won't there be a problem if the OP installs regular 4ohm speakers when the chances are the Bose speakers are 2ohm or lower?

Stu.

5th Gear

Status
    the bose speakers present roughly a 2 ohm load and with the crossover parts nearly 2.5 ohms
    the majority of new component sets will be 4 ohms , which is actually easier on the amplifier than a 2 ohm or 2.5 ohm load
    however it wont produce as much power

the lower the impedance the harder the amp has to work to drive the speakers , but the more power it can put in providing the amplifier has been designed to drive loads that low ...otherwise the amp will not last very long at all