Quality speaker refit for B6 S4

GeoffDunk

Reaction score
Website
www.gdluxurytransport.co.uk
I have a 2003 B6 S4 and I'd like to upgrade the speakers with direct replacements from a quality manufaturer. I don't spending some money but I do not want to hack or modify my door cards and other areas of the interior.

Any ideas? I know ALpine used to do an OEM replacment range but it seems the yhave stopped that now.

Mine is a saloon with Bose but that shouldn't make a difference.

The next step would be retro fittign a sub box and havign the Bose amp drive that to keep it as close to OEM as possible. I'd mak the sub box removable for when the boot is filled with luggage.

Any ideas anyone?

Any help/advice woudl be greatly appreciated.

for oem replacements look into focal , hertz , rainbow and jl audio
b6 s4 is a 6.5" component set with the mid/woofer in the lower part of the door and the tweeter in the upper part

any increase in performance will be directly down to how well the speakers are installed NOT WHAT KIT YOU FIT
you can put the most expensive component kit in the world in there , but fit it badly and it will still sound ****
or you can put the cheapest set of speakers you can buy in there but be meticulous in installling them and they will still sound good
the bose amplifier is not powerfull enough to drive a proper subwoofer system

When you say "how well somebody fits them" what exactly are you on about?

Sound deadening?
Cabling?
Power supply?

for oem replacements look into focal , hertz , rainbow and jl audio
b6 s4 is a 6.5" component set with the mid/woofer in the lower part of the door and the tweeter in the upper part

any increase in performance will be directly down to how well the speakers are installed NOT WHAT KIT YOU FIT
you can put the most expensive component kit in the world in there , but fit it badly and it will still sound ****
or you can put the cheapest set of speakers you can buy in there but be meticulous in installling them and they will still sound good
the bose amplifier is not powerfull enough to drive a proper subwoofer system

Thanks for the details, and I totally agree, need to be fitted well.

Ref the Sub, is there anyway to take the audio feed before the Bose amp and send to an aftermarket unit mounted in the boot with a sub enclosure?

what i mean is the lengths you are prepared to go to to get better sound

there is allready a tiny bit of sound deadeneing inside the doors of the a4/s4 ,
if however you want to do it to get the best from the speakers you buy
you would sound deaden the outer door skin then over the top of this with something like dynaliner and behind the back of the speaker itself you would put some diffuser pads
you could if you wanted also sound deaden the inner panel and try and stop sound waves from coming back out of the door by sealing as much as possible up

next look at the baffle which holds the speaker ... the standard one is made from abs plastic and vibrates
you could use a router and manufacture an identical baffle from marine ply (you can use mdf but its porous and will soak up water if not treated ) you could go to the effort of changing the speaker cable but most people are happy with the standard wire

as said its not the equipment or how expesnive your speaker cable is that makes the differance its what your prepared to do to get the speakers in the best enviroment installed as best as you can

yes geoff its possible to add an aftermarket amplifier to power the sub properly but ideally you need to put proper power cable in which will support the current draw of whatever amplifier you wish to use

If its the Bose system then won't there be a problem if the OP installs regular 4ohm speakers when the chances are the Bose speakers are 2ohm or lower?

Stu.

the bose speakers present roughly a 2 ohm load and with the crossover parts nearly 2.5 ohms
the majority of new component sets will be 4 ohms , which is actually easier on the amplifier than a 2 ohm or 2.5 ohm load
however it wont produce as much power

the lower the impedance the harder the amp has to work to drive the speakers , but the more power it can put in providing the amplifier has been designed to drive loads that low ...otherwise the amp will not last very long at all