A4 B6 rear speakers low audio output

ei2gfb

Reaction score
recently bought a 2003 a4 b6 and the rear speakers have a much lower volume output have checked the fader on original HU and its ok when fully put to rear its very faint, from googling i think the amp drives the rear speakers would it be on its last legs?

if the front speakers are o.k
then its either the headunit itself which is damaged , rear speakers or crossovers which are damaged
or the pre amp on the rear channels of the amplifier , it wont be power supply or outputs on the the amplifier as it would detect the problem and not work at all

try removing the lead into the amplifier and confirming your getting a signal in first (oscilloscope if you have one )
then remove the door cards and check the rear speakers and crossovers ( put them on a tone generator if you have one )

there was a time i would of had access to that test gear but not anymore, are the crossovers located in the actual speaker housings?, ill play around with it and try a trial and error process, is there any process to follow for elimination

yes the process of elimination follows the chain of audio

so headunit first .... connection to amplifier (lead) second .... amplifier itself third ...crossovers fourth ... speakers last

the crossovers themselves are only very very simple first order cap and coil affairs

a diagram of the pinout connector would be handy at this point ... i could advise you which pins to check to see if you have audio output

yes the process of elimination follows the chain of audio

so headunit first .... connection to amplifier (lead) second .... amplifier itself third ...crossovers fourth ... speakers last

the crossovers themselves are only very very simple first order cap and coil affairs

a diagram of the pinout connector would be handy at this point ... i could advise you which pins to check to see if you have audio output

can i check the pinouts with a multimeter, i dont have a scope but a very good multimeter

yes but you will need a specific test disc to put through the system or you may get inaccuracies
ideally you need a test disc with test tones on it .... preferably 1khz as this is the most sensitive part
if you dont have a disc have a look round on the internet ... wink wink ;)