Need help installing my aftermarket stereo

Jordan427

Reaction score
So, picked up my 2005 A3 last weekend and I'm wanting to put my old single din stereo in.

The car has the double din symphony stereo - which is now removed. It also had a Nokia charger/cradle/handsfree thing installed and the wiring for that is all over the place. I've removed what I can but need to remove the heating control panel which I'll get round to at a later time.

So... the wiring is different and I'm wanting to know what I need to make it work. Please see the pics

Weird wiresMy stereo adapter

So obviously 1st pic is what was in the back of the symphony - those 3 little red things, what are they? I guess they were used to give power to the Nokia thing but it seems to have electrical tape wrapped around the main wire - don't really want to remove it if the wires have been cut to feed onto the main cable.

2nd pic is the adapter that's on the back of my stereo.

So the question is what do I need to get my stereo working? Also are there any double din to single din converters so my single din stereo will fit in?

Thanks as always, much appreciated!

Jordan

From looking at wiring diagrams it looks like I'm a connector short?

I'll be honest, I would suggest you consider double din setup as you'd need an sd climate unit, sd buttons & trim & the cage, plus swapping it all out, with the cost of these parts, you'd be best to put towards maybe an rns-e.

What's the attraction of your old single din head unit, so we can understand the reasoning.

Nothing special to be honest, just that it plays mp3s off a usb stick. That's really all I'd use a stereo for!

Then you would be best considering a double din solution which plays mp3's, as that would save swapping the console parts out, the cost of swapping could go towards a better double din unit & be allot less hassle & give you added features.

RNS-E will play mp3's on sd cards which is the same, plus it comes with nav & fits perfectly in the car as is.

We supply/fit these if interested.

I just can't really justify spending another £400+. All I really need it for is playing mp3s, don't need a fancy screen or sat nav really! If I had the cash to spend then sure, but not right now :)

I understand that, but you will need to get the single din parts anyway, plus fit the cage, so that has its own cost.

you could if you wanted convert the double din into two single dins and then simply convert that into one single
celsus and autoleads do a fascia adaptor which converts the double din into a single din with a pocket either above or below

Reactions: NHN
That's interesting, not seen that, if its of good quality & fits, then yes that's a good idea.

usually either one or the other manufacturer make a conversion kit for most of the audi,s
i have seen a few bad quality kits but not for the vag stuff

in this case its autoleads and the part number is fp-05-07

Urrmmm looks a little ropey tbh, but for £15 I guess its worth a punt.

ds_FP-05-07-.jpg

Cheers guys! Doesn't look too bad I guess.

But what's with my wiring? I do seem to be a connector short - or is that right?

It looks like I'm missing the brown ISO connector.. why would that be? :/

Last edited: