Aftermarket Head Unit with OEM Bluetooth - Can they work together?

DaveyClark

Reaction score
Hey Folks, I have an A3 8P model (2007) which has the factory bluetooth kit installed, and I wondered, if I purchased an aftermarket head unit would it stop that from working? Or is there any kind of adaptor I would need to ensure the OEM bluetooth still works?

Appreciate any help in advance!

Problem would be the speaker from the phone kit and the mute system. The factory phone system mutes over can bus, so you would have to run a cable from the tel module MUTE pin to the radio for the mute to work. Secondly the telephone speaker is routed through the Audi HU, so when a call comes in the signal from the phone is passed to the speakers. You would have to handle that with some sort of relay harness that does this sort of thing for you, maybe the SOT Leads have a solution.

Sounds like your best bet is to buy aftermarket which has BT built in & unplug your current BT unit, allot less hassle tbh just for the BT system to work, then its just making aftermarket head unit work with current cars systems :)

Reactions: dualmono21
a lot easier if whatever unit you decide to buy allready bt adaptor built in
you can then set the unit to hear the telephone conversation from whichever speakers you like

No worries, the units i've looked at all have BT built in, I just thought it would be less hassle than running a mic cable around the car when there is already one in place for the OEM Unit - not a massive job I know but if it could have been avoided would have been nice! But not to worry! Thanks for help guys :)