Xtrons Headunit...

Looks like a dynavin rebrand to me.

Based on what I read from people when they 1st come out, reliability was an issue, they may have improved a fair bit since, but I have to go with peace of mind when offering to others, so I haven't bothered testing.

I am tempted by these as trying to find an rnse for an a4 is bit of mission.

here is quick video of the interface. the units in the vid fit VW/Ford, but the guts and the UI are the same as the PF71A3A for A3 8P

I ordered one based on the price: £220, shipped. If it doesn't work out, I'll return it and buy a zebec instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I am thinking about getting one of these... How did you get on? Would you recommend one for the money?

IMO for the money they are excellent, I had one for a few months and upgraded to the Zenec but that is just because I really love my gadgets and can't help myself spending money on them.

The feature set is great, all works well, the UI is much better than usual Chinese models, the sat nav is igo which is my favourite, works with steering wheel controls. Quite a few people here own one, I sold mine on here when I upgraded.

Bottom line is the Zenec is the best IMO but at £800 odd you'd expect it to be the best, if your budget only allowed for the Xtrons then I am sure you would be happy with it as I was and others here have been.

Reactions: Madpete
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I am thinking about getting one of these... How did you get on? Would you recommend one for the money?

It depends, for what it's worth, I know forum members who LOVED this. It just wasn't for me.
If you like having tons of features, then this might be worth a look. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit quite well in the dash, and the design really stands out (in a bad way) when installed. It LOOKS cheap. But looks aren't important to everyone.

Also, it's a bit buggy in some respects. The steering wheel cintrols don't work all that well. Kind of work when they want to. Also, the phone button (on the unit itself) didn't do anything. It didn't pickup/hangup calls like I thought it would.

The Nav felt slow, and getting the volume sorted for the Nav was a bit difficult (loud NAV, soft CD, loud radio, etc). It didn't feel very intuitive. The Nav didn't seem very useful, because of this.

However, the bluetooth was good, and the company is VERY responsive to email, and I did get a full refund (minus the shipping fee to send it back).

Oh , and The iPod cable needed to be constantly connected/reconnected for it to work.

Every technically worked, and it was feature rich, but it just felt buggy, and the unit didn't quite fit in the dash.

Thanks for the reply, that's a big help. I think you've made my mind up, I cant justify 800 quid for a head unit but at 299 these seem to be a Bargin. Thanks again, Pete.

Do they really look that bad? I thought they are supposed to look oem?

When did you have one? Do they get firmware updates to fix issues?

It depends, for what it's worth, I know forum members who LOVED this. It just wasn't for me.
If you like having tons of features, then this might be worth a look. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit quite well in the dash, and the design really stands out (in a bad way) when installed. It LOOKS cheap. But looks aren't important to everyone.

Also, it's a bit buggy in some respects. The steering wheel cintrols don't work all that well. Kind of work when they want to. Also, the phone button (on the unit itself) didn't do anything. It didn't pickup/hangup calls like I thought it would.

The Nav felt slow, and getting the volume sorted for the Nav was a bit difficult (loud NAV, soft CD, loud radio, etc). It didn't feel very intuitive. The Nav didn't seem very useful, because of this.

However, the bluetooth was good, and the company is VERY responsive to email, and I did get a full refund (minus the shipping fee to send it back).

Oh , and The iPod cable needed to be constantly connected/reconnected for it to work.

Every technically worked, and it was feature rich, but it just felt buggy, and the unit didn't quite fit in the dash.

Last edited:
They don't look that bad, it's just the font and colour of the buttons don't look quite right and I had problems getting the bottom to clip into the dash properly but that may have just been me.

If you contact Xtrons they should be able to provide fw updates, I have had 2 other xtrona units in the past and they sent me updates.

Reactions: Madpete
Sorry to bump the thread but I've just bought one of these units and I got it all wired up to find that the rear speakers/amp aren't working, I don't think I have the BOSE system as I can't find anything labelling BOSE in my car.

I have a 57 plate a3 1.8tfsi s-line with the quadlock connector if that's of any help. Do I need another connector in order for it to work? I don't have the foggiest when it comes to wiring so some advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

Pez

Do you definitely have rear speakers? As I understand it a lot of non-Bose cars don't have rear speakers installed.

Thanks for the quick response AK47UK I hear your the man to come to in terms of these xtron units lol yes I definitely have rear speakers I can see them in the back of my car. I have all the wires for the unit but when i connect them all together I lose the rear amplified speakers, any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a complete noob at all this.

Many Thanks

I have connected the following together:

RCA RL to RL+
RCA RR to RR+
RCA FL to FL+
RCA FR to FR+

Is this right?

Do I need to connect together the AUX IN connections or don't I need to bother?

Again many thanks

On the top of your original headunit should be a sticker with pin outs, can you look at which pins go to your rear speakers and see if those pins are wired up on the Xtrons wiring harness?

Aux in is just so you can have an audio input so no need to do anything with that atm as we will try and sort your speakers.

Top lad AK47UK! I've got an early finish from work tomorrow so ill have a look tomorrow in daylight and let you know, really do appreciate the help. If a connection doesn't match up from the original to the xtron will I need an adapter?

You might just need to change the pin configuration yourself, it's pretty easy to do. I don't know if there are any implications by amping rear speakers from the headunit as I have a Bose amp in my boot which powers the sub and rears for me.

How easy is pretty easy as like I said im a complete newb when it comes to wiring and stuff haha Im not sure if I have an amp in my car but it certainly sounds like i do when i turn the volume up! eyy dear sorry for the confusion :/ really do appreciate your help. Ill be tackling the headunit again this afternoon when i finish work so ill keep you updated on the situation.

Thanks AK47UK, top man!

When you can check the pin outs on the device we can work out if they need reconfiguring. This usually requires a thin pointed device to bend the retention clip of a particular cable inwards so it releases the cable, then you bend the retention clip out again and insert it into the new hole. This way there is no need to cut or terminate cables.

If I'm reading the pins right the connector I hav got has the pins running to the RR and RL AK do you need me to post a pic of the diagram on my OEM unit?

I've plummed it all in again and noticed something I didn't notice the first time round, the rear right speaker and front left speakers aren't working, becoming annoying this now haha

So FR and RL are working ok? If you can post a picture of the wiring diagram on the top of both of your headunits I will see if I can work anything out. Also do the wires on the harness have any writing on them? Sometimes looms have writing so you know which wire is what.

Yeah FR and RL working fine I'll post a pic of both the diagrams for you now and the both harnesses have labels on for each connection, I'll get the pics on now

This is the OEM wiring diagram

This is the xtrons wiring diagram

Any ideas as I am stumped!

This is the Quadlock adapter that came with the xtrons unit

Ive just ear tested all the speakers and they seem to be working, but when you go on sound settings to test the speakers (you know balance left right, fade front and back the display doesn't reflect what speaker I'm trying to test :/ also doesn't seem as powerful sound wise as the OEM unit any reason for this or am I just being finicky haha thanks AK47UK

So they are all working then but the balance was off? Have you looked through the Xtrons settings for a 'boost' or 'loud' section?

If they are not working what you need to do is take a photo of the OEM quadlock cable pins o we can see what pins should be connected to something.

Yet they are all working but it seems the more powerful sound is coming out of the front speakers?? That was with both the loud on and off

I'll take a photo now of the OEM quadlock so you can finally solve this mystery! Haha

The 4 pins on the yellow block power your front speakers from the headunit and there must be an amp in your boot to power the rears. I'm not sure how you can increase the volume of the rears unless you adjust the balance/fade so they are equal volume to the fronts when you turn the master volume up.

If you only care about the people in the front of the car then don't bother with the rears, sound should come from the front anyway.

I see what your saying AK47UK but even when the balance and fade is 'equal' the rear speakers are no where near as powerful as they were with the OEM unit in, i cant see anywhere why that would be the case though :/ do i need to reconfigure any of the pins? did yours just plug and play with no problems? i know yours is a BOSE system but shouldnt be that much different should it?

Hallelujah I have found the problem!!! The RCA RR connection doesn't work, when I plum in the RL+ into the RCA RL my rear left speaker works, then if I plum in the RR+ into the RCA RL, my rear right speaker works! Think a wire needs reconfiguring but could someone tell me which one please.

Many Thanks

Pez

In your photo of the quad lock look at the green plug, working left to right in pairs of pins you should have: none connected, both connected, none connected, both connected, bottom pin connected, none connected. This will match the pins you can see poking out of the white xtrons wiring block which supplies front and rear RCAs and the RCA earth.

Will I have to reconfigure the pins to get the connectin to work? from what i remember on the green plug it ran exactly like you said, if it doesnt what will I have to do?

If it is configured like I said then it is correct so you need to check the wiring for split/damaged wires. This is more likely to happen on the Xtrons harness on the White block that connects to the green block. Alternatively, from what you said about the RCA not working, you could probs get an RCA splitter and run that off of the working connection to the front and rear speakers. The only downside is you won't be able to adjust the levels for front and rear separately.

I think I could live with that AK47UK if it meant all 4 speakers were working at a decent level, ill check for damaged wires tonight and see if there is any, if not would any decent motorshop sell an RCA splitter?would i just plug the connection into the one thats working and then the other two connections into the split end?

I cant thankyou enough for your help bud, really do appreciate it.