ICE Opinions...

TDI_Boy

Reaction score
Hello all,

Having had the A3 for a couple of weeks, several things have become apparent. Mainly I need to do something about the Stereo.

Currently I have the concert II head unit at standard speakers - Don't think I have bose, but how would I tell?

In my golf I had the standard head unit running through a small 'sound-on-top' 4 channel amp to the factory speakers. I had a 6-disc changer in the dash, and a kenwood 10" sun in a box in the boot running off a pre-out from the Gamma HU.

This setup suited me fine as it had enough omph in the bass depatment, allowed me to stack the CDs up and looked completely facotry for the outside.

For the A3 I would like to achive something similar, ie a factory look, the ability to have lots of tracks on tap (possibly MP3) and some more bass...

So what would people suggest?

I have seen some suggestions of the Blaupunkt DAB54 unit, which I very much like the idea of, but does it look out of place in the dash? Also can you add a changer to it?

Phatnoise sounds good, but I have read too many threads about them not working, not to mention a colleague of mines experience! Are they as good as the concept? Do they work with the concert II HU?

I would really appreciate some good suggestions as to a route to go down.

I would also really like to see some pictures of the 'andymac' sub enclosre, asd it sounds very tempting!

Thanks
Mark

ive never personally tinkered with an audi's audio wiring loom. but to be honest i'd go for something like the JL audio 'cleensweep' or the sony plug-in stuff which basicallys plugs into the standard stereo and allws you to run amps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just have a look at the sub in the rear cubbyhole. If it has 2 speakers it's Bose, if just one then it's non Bose. Or just listen to it and if you get lots of woolly bass its Bose, if hardly any bass (woolly or otherwise) then it's non Bose.
Non Bose is easier to upgrade. I would definately start with a sub as it'll make the biggest difference for the smallest outlay. It'll relieve the cabin speakers of attempting to recreate the low frequencies which will improve the overall sound as well.
I've got a DAB54 in the wifes Avant and it is very impressive, it'll take a changer but you don't really need one with 10 CD's fitting on a single mp3 CD. It can also record or playback on the SD card as well, so you can jam another 200 tracks on a 1GB memory card.
My only criticism is the lack of an obvious sub pre-out. It has one but it only appears as a single pin on the schematic with no reference made to how you actually wire it up and control it.
In fact the install instructions are possibly the worst I've ever seen covering all of 2 single pages in the overly fat manual.
Here's a pic of the DAB54 in situ and the A3/S3 stealth sub:
DABfront.jpg

SubCollage4.jpg

Andy,

Thanks for the info.

The stealth sub looks ideal. What size driver is it running? Do you have any plans for it, or do you sell them yourself?

I have a kenwood kac-528 amp which has been used to run the 10" from my golf. To do that I ran separate power to the back of the car, but is it required if just replacing the factory sub? How good is the installed cabling?

I like the look of the Dab 54, and the 10 CDs on one appeals, but with a changer you can always change one cd, rather than all 10! I guess I am just picky.

It's actually only 6.5" but you can just about squeeze an 8 incher in there but the difference is negligile due to the small size of the enclosure.
You definately need to run seperate power for the amp as the OEM amp is a feeble 50w so the live feed is just 3amps. With a sub upgrade you need 250wrms, so 20-30amp draw.
TDI - I've sent you a PM.

Andy, cheers, I have pm'd you a reply!

The install looks very neat, I am really impressed, and very tempted!

Cheers
Mark