Volks AutosSky Insurance
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dualmono21

Thread: Is there any point?

2nd Gear

Status

Is there any point?

Hi all! Have a Pioneer AppRadio head unit and a sub in the boot, for some reason Audi only decided to put speakers in the front of my car and not the back (to do with my model of original head unit). Looking for potentially some more mid tones and clear volume from the front, question is... is it worth upgrading the front speakers? Thanks in advance peeps!
    Brilliant Black 61 Plate A3 1.6 TDI

Mods: S3 BE 5 Spoke Rotor Wheels with Goodyear EfficientGrip
    , AppRadio 2, 80% tints, Diamond Vision Headlights

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    IMHO if you're going to invest, then invest in a good all round system, not just fronts.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

5th Gear

Status
    sorry have to disagree

how many times do you sit in the back of the car and listen to the stereo ?
    a good audio system only needs front speakers that are working correctly ,positioned correctly and powered correctly
    adding rear speakers will not improve the sound of the fronts
    2003 pearlescent black s4 avant tiptronic - milltek exhaust - pre cats removed - remapped ...
    koni adjustable suspension front and rear
    alpine f1 dvi9990 -pxah990 headunit and processor - alpine d511r
    4 x focal 5ws midbass drivers - focal audiom 6w midrange - focal tce tweeters - velodyne df 12 sc servo controlled subwoofer
    3 x phoenix gold zpa 0.5 amplifiers

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Where I do agree with you, allot of people like to have a full system fitted.

I'm saying if you're going to invest money, do it properly with a complete system, not just replace front speakers, so decent speakers, amps etc.

Doubtful, but should he have kid/s now or futurewise, they would need rear speakers for sure, so it all comes down to age, future, how long keeping the car etc, all variables, hence why my universal reply that would cater for all scenario's.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

5th Gear

Status
    i have kids and still aint got rear speakers in my car even though there fitted
    i do however have 2 sets of headphones so as they can enjoy whatever they want without inflicting one direction or justin beiber upon my poor ears
    2003 pearlescent black s4 avant tiptronic - milltek exhaust - pre cats removed - remapped ...
    4 x focal 5ws midbass drivers - focal audiom 6w midrange - focal tce tweeters - velodyne df 12 sc servo controlled subwoofer

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks for the reply guys! Not too bothered about peeps sitting in the back. Would it be enough to upgrade the front speakers (not sure on the quality of the Audi standard fronts) or get some new ones and amp them? Obv the latter would be better but quality vs cost wise.

5th Gear

Status
    if you choose carefully its o.k to simply upgrade the existing audi speakers to some aftermarket alternatives
    you ideally want something that doesnt present too difficult to drive ie impedance load wise
    and ideally something quite sensitive so as the small amount of power from the onboard amp should be able to make enough noise

i wont lie you will notice a big differnace if you put another amplifier in there but that is upto yourself

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dualmono21 View Post
    if you choose carefully its o.k to simply upgrade the existing audi speakers to some aftermarket alternatives
    you ideally want something that doesnt present too difficult to drive ie impedance load wise
    and ideally something quite sensitive so as the small amount of power from the onboard amp should be able to make enough noise

i wont lie you will notice a big differnace if you put another amplifier in there but that is upto yourself
    Thanks dualmono21! Would you recommend any brands and models in particular?

5th Gear

Status
    the first thing i would check is the impedance of the standard speaker units
    some audi units use 2 ohm speakers to try and draw more power from the amplifier (its o.k replacement units are available but the choice of 2 ohm speakers is a little more limited )

image dynamics , infinity and cdt audio are 3 makes of 2 ohm component speaker i would reccomend

4 ohm speaker components

rainbow , hertz , focal access (for around 90 pounds these are very very hard to beat)

as regards amplifiers in all honesty if your looking for sound quality you want to be looking at older designs which are class a/b
    not the newer class g or full range d ( my advice is to look secondhand on ebay for some real bargains)

genesis amplifiers such as the p2 and p4 will give you everything you need and nothing you dont
    worthy mentions go to old school
    phoenix gold , rockford fosgate , kicker , mtx

all these will give you a noticeable differnace in sound quality , but please remember to use nice solid baffles for the speakers and plenty of sound deadening in the doors
    TwedA4 likes this.