PHONE message on stereo display

Mikebabs1

Reaction score
Hi all,

When I bought my A4 (B6) it had a Nokia handsfree kit already fitted by the previous owner. It doesn't fit my phone, but I left it in since I didn't want unsightly holes in the dash.

I've had the car 18 months now without any problems, and all of a sudden just recently, the car kit seems to be interfering with the stereo somehow. Its the standard Audi Concert Stereo, and every so often I'll be listening to the radio when all of a sudden the sound cuts out and a PHONE message appears on the stereo display. A quiet hissing can be heard coming from the phone speaker thats installed in the passenger footwell.

Sometimes it stays like this for a minute or two, then the radio comes back on, other times just a split second. Once it's done it once on a journey, it then does it all the time, at completely random intervals. Sometimes it gets so annoying I just have to turn the stereo off and drive in silence. Other journeys I can drive for a good 2 hours without any interruptions.

Anyone got any ideas of what could be causing this? I've looked in the manuals but can't find anything.

Cheers

Mike

Its the phone kit muting the stereo, for some reason it thinks it has a call. Maybe a loose connection somewhere. If you could get to the fuses for the HF kit, just pull them out and the problem will disapear

It maybe worth removing your head unit and disconnecting the telephone mute lead or the whole phone kit all together?

Thanks for the help guys.

Any idea where the fuses might be? It's been properly installed, all wires hidden etc. All thats visible is the phone mount, the big speaker in the passenger footwell, and the little pick-up mic above the rear-view mirror.

I don't fancy having to dismantle the dash to get at it!

Cheers

Mike

I had this problem with a Sony Ericsson phone in the car kit. It was the phone causing the mute instruction. I removed the battery from the phone and re started it (reboot!) and it fixed it.
Its likely the signal for the mute is coming from the phone I think.

It cant be the phone mate as his doesnt fit in the cradle.
My "brain" is mounted near the fuse box on mine, and i can reach in to pull fuses without dismantling the car. Might be worth looking to see

its easy to take the lower dash trims off. You need a 6mm nut spinner or socket set. Take the fusebox cover off and remove the 2 screws, then there are two on the bottome at each end of the dash cover..
I must admit, I didnt read your message properly!..
You could get at the phone interupt cable by removing the radio, but youll need keys..

mine is in behind the air con panel in the centre console, theres planty of space in there. Just trace one of the wires back from the speaker or mic..