Ipod in via cd changer input but no changer fitted - will the head unit see the ipod?

A4 stu

Reaction score
As standard, the Concert tape radio (non Bose) in my 1998 Audi A4 B5 did NOT have a CD changer fitted at the factory.

I am looking at getting one of the Connects2 or similar adapters that allow the use of an ipod through the CD changer input and allows the ipod to be controlled through the head unit. Something like this:

Audi Concert A2 A3 A4 A6 A8 TT iPod adapter interface iPhone CTAADIPOD003.2 AUX | eBay

But, as there has never been a CD changer fitted to the car (not a chosen factory option) will the radio pick up an ipod is there or will the radio need re-coding by Audi?

Stu

Great thanks for that - any idea what the quality is like at all - any background noise or anything?

will be just the same as using a changer, as it uses the same clean audio inputs directly into the HU, so no electronics inbetween. The electronics are purely there to provide the databus info to fool the HU into thinking a changer is connected.

Can anyone tell me if when an iPod is connected via the connects2, if it is still possible to have the entire iPod remain on shuffle mode or are you forced to play the songs through the 6 playlists that it seems the HU will recognise as cd's?

I really like the idea of keeping the oem look so am tempted to order one today but the cheapest I can find is £44.99 delivered and that's a lot towards a used Alpine HU that will run an iPod directly and probably sound better, even if I amp the oem HU?

stu