2 x 2 ohm output on standard sub woofer, how to connect new speaker with one!!!!

Raincheck

Sucking diesel..!
Reaction score
Hi Forum,

Just removed the standard tupperware enclosure & amp. The amp has 2 outputs 2 x 2 ohm going to the sub woofer (a plus/minus on each side). How do I connect a sub woofer with only one connection? Do I combine the 2 outputs to one (plus on plus and minus on minus) see photo:

2x2ohm

Help is more then welcome as need the put it all back quick.

Rain

Unsure of why you're doing it however to answer your question joining the 2 poss terminals together then going to the poss on the amp, then joining the 2 neg terminals together then going to the amp would make 1ohm.....so + to + to the + on the amp then - to - to the - on the amp. Double check the specs on the amp because it may not be stable at 1ohm and could damage it :(

or you could wire to 4ohm, just join a poss to a neg from one coil to the other you'll then be left with 1 poss and 1 neg just join them to the amp :)

Think he's trying to connect a new sub to the puny Audi amp, rather than adding a proper amp to the puny Audi sub
I doubt the Audi amp is bridgeable which it would need to be to drive a single 4 ohm voice coil from the 2 channels available. What on earth are you trying to achieve? You can't drive any aftermarket subwoofer with that fisher price garbage, it is 50w peak that's less than 25wrms, and you need 250wrms to drive pretty much anything worth driving

I bought a new mdf sub enclosure and 4 new Focals for the doors and one Focal sub (FOCAL SUB P21V2 - 8" SVC 4-ohm woofer), don't have the Focal amps yet 2 channel (front) 3 channel (back & sub). But would like to install the mdf enclosure and Focal sub using the standard Audi amp for the back & sub.

Have already removed the plastic sub enclosure & amp but would like to know how to connect my Focal sub to the standard amp for the time being.

Last edited:
Even if you could drive the sub with that amp (which you can't) you will most likely damage the new sub by underpowering it and clipping which will put DC across the voice coil, not a good idea. You wouldn't be able to hear it anyway, leave the new sub disconnected until your amps arrive.

Reactions: shadow1993
Thanks guys..!

Andy I go with your advice and wait for the amps don't want to damage anything.

Thanks...

It's the best thing mate, I've seen it 1 million times with customers bring their 500 watt sub powered by their 400 watt max amp back in the shop saying the subs, faulty pretty much every time the gains are on full the lpf is turned to 600hz. It's a bit like taking your car into the red line every time you drive the car :s sooner or later something's going to give.

Also your warranty would probably gone

Just have to be patience and wait for the Focal amps (a week or so) thanks Mart77